Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Rail Step Down Gage

Feedback Score

Default Home Made Rail Step Down Gage

Just finished the top rail step down gage. The last home made stamping I'll EVER do for an AK. (got em all done now).

I tried for weeks to get a few machine shops to make me a 6" long one, just like the soviets used. Since nobody had time for me, w/o a ton of cash.. I decided to make it myself in the basement using files, bench and die grinders, drill press, and a lot of testing and fit up. Wasted a cold steel receiver in the process! oops..

Thanks goes to Hopster for giving me the bolt idea in the first place.

Works great, step is not as perfect as an original or any of the commerical receivers out there, but its home made and i don't need a press. I simply do 1" of the step down at a time and slide the tool down, do 1" more, etc.. until the step is complete. They look remarkably good and straight considering its not one long tool.

Hard part, getting enough torque on the bolt and then holding the receiver while tightening w/o bending it. i need a nice long set of wrenches.

Post pics of all the home made stampings on the reciever this weekend. Hope this inspires some home builders to make thier own.

Its 1060 steel block. Most of the other ones i do are strain hardened 304 bolts.

Step is 0.030" (0.75mm) - slightly more than the 0.020" required to make the top rail equivalent to 1.6mm. I measured 0.025" on the romy original step, Curtis from Ak-builder recommended 0.030". Step radius ends about 3mm from the outside receiver edge.

You can see the receiver step on the right had side of second pic .

Edit: here is the original idea, to put the step downs in all at once. I also just figured out a way to improve the step down even more, flip my gage over and go back over the already stepped part - makes it nice and even. pics coming.

Last edited by twistedneck; 09-03-2006 at 04:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Ok, I'm still learning on this stuff so...

What is this for? First thing I have seen about a "step" needed on these builds.
    Just wondering.
    Question all as to their ways....
    Learn the secrets that they hold....
    Lead so others may follow. This is the way of our forefathers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

yea, kinda wondering myself. maybe a shot of the tool in place on the reciever ?

Feedback Score

step down is a feature of soviet sheet metal recievers. BAck in the machined reciever days, the top rail used to be 1.6mm thick +. When they went to 1.0mm sheet metal receiver, the carrier allowed more play top to bottom of the bolt carrier channel. It could have some slop so they 'stepped' down, or offset down the top rail by 0.6mm.

Nodak premium receivers have them, global, joken, etc do as well.. Flats and bent blanks generally do not have them unless you put it there yourself. Curtis from ak-builder is adding the feature on to his flat bending tool for a premium.

Functionally, its only required for a full auto receiver, so don't panic if you don't have one. Mostly for asthetics on our semi only akm. It will tighten up the carrier slop, not sure what that will acomplish, better dimensional stability for picking rounds up from the mag??
    Last edited by twistedneck; 09-02-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

got it. could we see and end view of the finished process and maybe the tool in place ? thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

There ya go.WECSOG ingenuity at work.Having to work inside that rec."C" shape sure complicates things.I like the step,when all is properly dimensioned top rail,lower rail and the spacing between the top rails do a better job of guiding the bolt.Better action feeding and ejecting.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks for the input. Learning new things everyday.

Dave
    Question all as to their ways....
    Learn the secrets that they hold....
    Lead so others may follow. This is the way of our forefathers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedneck
    step down is a feature of soviet sheet metal recievers. BAck in the machined reciever days, the top rail used to be 1.6mm thick +. When they went to 1.0mm sheet metal receiver, the carrier allowed more play top to bottom of the bolt carrier channel. It could have some slop so they 'stepped' down, or offset down the top rail by 0.6mm.

Nodak premium receivers have them, global, joken, etc do as well.. Flats and bent blanks generally do not have them unless you put it there yourself. Curtis from ak-builder is adding the feature on to his flat bending tool for a premium.

Functionally, its only required for a full auto receiver, so don't panic if you don't have one. Mostly for asthetics on our semi only akm. It will tighten up the carrier slop, not sure what that will acomplish, better dimensional stability for picking rounds up from the mag??
    Can't wait to see the pictures!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Default step down

I am trying to incorporate the step down in to my bending jig can you give me the lay out ,where on the rails do you start and stop the step down ..Thanks for the info you posted ..Pat

Feedback Score

Updated pics of rails steped down on blank receiver.

The step rails look awesome and straight when you have them in your hand, the pics make them seem a bit uneven and possibly choppy - but in reality they turned out awesome. In addition, I will lap the rail gap (bottom of step down to top of lower rail) with an emery block before i even fire it. that will take out any minor waviness or warp - make a smoth cycle.

Begin step 1.95" from 'trimmed' back of measured romy receiver and 2.35" from trimmed front of receiver, about 6" of total rail length (step is offset toward the rear tang as the front trunnion cut out is longer).

Obviously a little extra clearance for the top female die (didn't work at all w/ low clearance)

Front view before tightening the 3/8 bolt down (use vice grips to hold die)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.