Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: TIG welder on sale @ Harbour Freight

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I think stick welding gets a bad rap now days. As far a a nice looking " bead" TIG can not even come close to stick welding. I worked quite a few years in a welding shop & have always owned a variety of welders. Even the best TIG welds ALWAYS have " Ripples" Yes they are pretty & clean. But with some practice with a regular old ARC stick welder you can lay down a bead as smooth as glass with NO ripples & the slag rolls right up and falls off on it's own. Yes there is spatter. But with anti spatter spray or MIG nozzle dip you can reduce that quite a bit. I know we're talking guns here. But for all around welding the stick is king in my shop. I can't even imagine trying to TIG an overhead weld. MIG is nice, but try it outside on a windy day & it's useless. With stick welding you can do anything but aluminum. You can keep both hands on the rod holder to be extra steady. And YES you can weld thin steel like AK receivers. Maybe not beer cans. But when I was stock car racing I did all my body panel welding with a good ol Lincoln 225 welder. Another nice thing is you can bend the rods to any shape to fit into tight areas. Try that with a TIG, Or a clunky MIG gun.
    So....to sum it up. I think everyone needs several welders. TIG and MIG are great, but I'm afraid new guys get the opinion that there is no place in the shop anymore for a stick welder & that just aint so! Just because you see pictures of other guys UGLY stick welds does not mean you can't do a better job.
    I LOVE the smell of burning flux in the morning!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

To be clear; TIG & MIG are wonderful, but I'm afraid folks new to welding can get the impression that you can't make nice looking strong welds with a welding rod & it's just not true.

Yo, what up my Ninja! gmanindahood's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock
    "let me know what you think will get me as close to possible to what I need"

For me it's called "JB Weld"
    Now that's a weld I'm familiar with!
    It takes a nation of millions to hold us all back!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock
    To be clear; TIG & MIG are wonderful, but I'm afraid folks new to welding can get the impression that you can't make nice looking strong welds with a welding rod & it's just not true.

I agree, however it is not the best choice for guns. I burned a lot of stick in my time, and made a lot of good welds, however the heat, spatter, slag and smoke are a mess. sticks are good for heavy fabricating, but mig is a lot less messy. and for small precision parts tig can't be beat.

Feedback Score

Bradock has some good points about the usefulness of non-TIG welding for many non-gun applications.

TIG is the worst choice for farm work outside and upside down - but TIG is the best for guns indoors on a bench.

The good news is that if you have a DC TIG welder, you already own a stick welder and can make some smoke when ever you want with the ARC stick holder that probabbly came with your unit!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I lost most of my tools in Hurricane Charley & here is the TIG I'm considering ( Maybe) Unless I find a good deal on a name brand unit.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2419&rd=1&rd=1

It's been so long since I worked in a welding shop........It was called " Heliarc" You don't hear that term much these days.
    Back then our Airco MIG welder was the size of a refridgerator! I'm talking 60's here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Tig/Arc

Good points on the TIG vs ARC welding. Especially the point on overhead welding. I just bought the HF TIG unit and it is ARC capable.

$200 out the door with two year warranty..............
    Damn Yankees!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Overhead welding with a tig is not hard.
    You can't lay a large bead, you need to lay a lot of small beads.
    And keep the heat down, let it cool between passes.
    I just run a wire brush over the last bead, it helps to cool the weld and at the same time removes any foreign matter.

Feedback Score

Bradrock - If you get that unit, be sure to get the optional foot pedal. You won't regret having the extra control.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

If you buy it be sure to post a good review. It looks like a lot of machine for the $$$$$$$

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.