Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How the "F" do U control yer chips?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by AKarl_12
    RIGHT, WEAR SHOES I have a pair just for the shop. Don't go any where else in them.
    I step into them just inside the door, and leave my other shoes covered up inside the door out. WEAR APRONS, so the chips don't get into your clothes. Try to make a bearer between your shop & your house. If it gets too bad I'll even change clothes before going back into the house. The wife said I get to take out any metal spliners anyone gets, right away what ever I'm doing I have to stop and play Dr. So I make sure they don't get back into the house.
    Best advice!. If you are cutting right, you could have long stringers of slinkies attached to your clothes, and bringing them into the living quarters.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtbo
    Best advice!. If you are cutting right, you could have long stringers of slinkies attached to your clothes, and bringing them into the living quarters.
    The only "slinkies" I get are from my drill press. My mill makes mad crazy, totally invisable steel shanks that hunger for a foot. They kinda look like a narwhale "horn". Like an honor guard for the fridge.
    I guess I can't splain it.
    No matter what I do, they hunt for me.
    I bow to thee, 'o glorious endmill.
    Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
    "Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
    They would have a long time ago, when our government became self serving and lied so openly that the taste of disgust can't be cleared with bleach.
    WTF happened to our country?
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Be real careful with mist systems, especially on an open type mill like a Bridgeport. They do their job just fine, but the mist gets everywhere and next thing you know everything in the garage/shop is covered/contaminated with coolant. Breathing coolant mist generally isn't good for you, and depending on the mix could be downright toxic.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ash,

How about going to a keg system with multiple taps. The keg stays in the fridge and the plumbing does the rest ( a tap outside the shop) chip free The keg means fewer trips to restock and the deposit will carry over to the next. You'll have another problem with the keg (more friends will drop by)

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Get a pair of cheap shoes and over-alls for the shop, take them off everytime you leave the work area.

Just a cheap thought.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Like Jerry, the price of a good coolant system shocked me.

Parts washers come with a reservoir of several gallons and can be adapted. They generally run about $40.

Children without shoes are not allowed in the shop. Absolutely.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

yep , I only get long stringers when drilling, chips and slivers with the endmill. What I do here is use air to clear the chips from the tool while cutting so I dont ship or break the endmill.

To keep the chips out of the house I take my shoes and apron off outside before coming in, still get a few in the house , but we dont have any carpet, just wood and tile so they are easy to vacuum up

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt762x39
    Ash,

How about going to a keg system with multiple taps. The keg stays in the fridge and the plumbing does the rest ( a tap outside the shop) chip free The keg means fewer trips to restock and the deposit will carry over to the next. You'll have another problem with the keg (more friends will drop by)
    Now THAT is one of the best ideas I've ever heard! Taps in the shop - whodathunkit?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum
    yep , I only get long stringers when drilling, chips and slivers with the endmill. What I do here is use air to clear the chips from the tool while cutting so I dont ship or break the endmill.

To keep the chips out of the house I take my shoes and apron off outside before coming in, still get a few in the house , but we dont have any carpet, just wood and tile so they are easy to vacuum up
    That's where I get the idea to blow coolant (not squirt) onto the cutting point from one side and have a line supplying vacuum from the other side. Just vacuuming is ok (sorta works) to control the chips and I never really liked washing gallons of coolant all over the place. Blowing the debris works great, like pan said, but it's a heeluva mess. Blowing/misting coolant right at the spot of truth would move the chips/etc. out for a nice clean cut and keep the tool cool. A shop vac style system on the other side would move the debris to a safe haven and get the coolant back to the "tank", ready for the next mission. I have a couple spare magnet stands ready to go, just gotta put it all together and see how my hops and malt inspired idea works out under the acid test.
    I think I need a nice block of stainless to machine out a manifold for all the taps I need to run now. Maybe a couple I guess, not all my friends like Sam Adams. Go figger.
    Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
    "Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
    They would have a long time ago, when our government became self serving and lied so openly that the taste of disgust can't be cleared with bleach.
    WTF happened to our country?
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Here is my setup. I made chip guards from some sheet aluminum. Usually I just stick them in the t-slots, of course it depends on what I am working on.

I'm running a home made flood coolant system. The flex line is from a HF drill press, mounted on an old magnetic base. The tank is an 10 gallon reservoir from an old hydraulic system. The pump is a pond pump from Home Depot (the first one I got was too small and didn't generate enough pressure to pump from the floor the the table). The pump just sits on the bottom of the tank on the opposite corner from the return lines. I drilled and tapped the table for two return lines for the coolant.

I didn't clean the tank for two years, and never had problem with the pump/debris. The return lines plug up occasionally, but a blast of air usually cleans them out. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make an intake screen for them. I run syncool coolant from Enco. About $10 to make 40 gallons. Doesn't go rancid and works fine for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.