Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How the "F" do U control yer chips?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Plinker that's about what I have in mind - thanks for sharing the photos! Is that coolant solution safe for metals? Or must you WD-40 the parts after you're done? I've read on some of the mini-mill forums that the water-based stuff can cause severe rusting in the right circumstances, although I wonder about the skill level of those involved.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    Plinker that's about what I have in mind - thanks for sharing the photos! Is that coolant solution safe for metals? Or must you WD-40 the parts after you're done? I've read on some of the mini-mill forums that the water-based stuff can cause severe rusting in the right circumstances, although I wonder about the skill level of those involved.
    I use ValCool Turn Tech here and don't have any rusting problems. Enco has a couple of complete flood coolant setups on sale, one is a 3 gallon setup for $79, the other is a 10 gallon setup for $99. Both include the tank, pump, strainer, Tygon hose, control valve, and flexible nozzle.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I recently bought one of the little vortex chillers that drops the air passing thru it by 40 degrees F works very well for tool cooling , a little loud and doesnt adress the chips in the house problem but a relly neat device for a dry setup

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

No problem with rust. I use the same coolant in the bandsaw and the only rust is the "flour" from the blade. No rust on solid pieces. I think a soluable oil mixture has a little more lubrication properties than the synthetic. When making dimples with an end mill, I use an oil from a can and get a better finish.

The vortex coolers are most likey the future, but I am not sure how much compressed air (power) they use. From what I have read, the production shops want to get rid of coolant since its can be a hazardous waste disposal problem.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I do think the vortex chillers are fairly hefty air users , mine is rated for 100f temp drop at 8cfm , and 40 f drop at 3 cfm. I run the same 20-30 psi thru it that I would normaly run thru just the air nozzles alone

Feedback Score

The coolant misters are very effective in cooling the tool/workpiece and they are reasonably priced. I prefer to use homemade plexiglass shields mounted to "T" angles to control spread of the chips and coolant. Enco is one source for the misters and they also sell plastic shields. I have been a machinist since 1975 (USAF trained).
    Flooding coolant works about the best and synthetic based is the way to go whether you use flood or mist.
    A cold air gun works great too but are a bit pricy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.