Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How the "F" do U control yer chips?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default How the "F" do U control yer chips?

There in my feet. There in my wifes feet. The freeloadin kids got 'em. The stupid dog has 'em all over. How do you boneheads keep your mill/lathe chips under control?
    I got magnets and shops vacs and all that but I still have chips in and on everything I own.
    Do I need a pole barn?

ps: say yes to the pole barn thing.

double ps: the bridgeport rules either way.

triple ps: what's your technology? I really need help here.
    Thinkin of a mist coolant system with a vac system. Seems like it would knock down the chips fast and remove them right quick style. Even show a cleaner surface too I bet.

Chips suck.
    member # 575

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

The only tip I have is that a 30 x 40 shop is WAY too small! Think BIG on your pole barn.

Or better yet: Build TWO. One for workshop & another for storage.
    I want THREE! Metal shop, wood shop & one just for storage.

Yea.that's it........THREE!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ash, Humm. pole barn (great idea) also use a fence around your mill table some thing like a hardboard. My dad used a scrap hunk of paneling to control the blue (dammmmmmmm hot) chips from the shaper from getting on him and anyone who dared venture into the shop. You angle the hardboard in at the top so the chips dive to the floor or the top of the mill table. This will sorta control the chips not 100% though Welding curtains or a canvas tarp hanging from the ceiling in a "c" shape. Plan B WEAR SHOES in the shop LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uhh you wouldn't happen to be a farmer right!?!?!?!?!? I grew up some where between farmer and city slicker.........

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I use a HVAC tray under my mill and a coolant flood made from an aquarium (cheap) pump. It keeps the chips from flying (95%) and keeps the tools nice and cool.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I use my 2-car garage. I have an incredibly heavy work table I picked up from a salvage yard - looks like a custom build - and that is where I put my lathe and mill.

Honestly, I almost never use the factory chip guard. I usually wear goggles but when those chips start to hit the soft parts of my face around the goggles, I put the shield back on

Ditto on getting a coolant system - that will help immensely. I have yet to get a water-based one, so I just use can after can after can of the spray oil - again from HF - and it works very well to keep the chips under control. I end up with an oily pile of chips around and under the cutting table.

I bought a cheap push broom from HF that is "dedicated" to the garage so the chips don't go everywhere. I also have a really good hand broom that I think I got from Lowe's and it too is dedicated to metal cleanup in the shop. I clean up 2x per year, whether the garage needs it or not!

I also have those rubber cushion mats from HD ($20 each) that lock together. Not the neoprene ones, the big ones taht are rubber and have round holes in them. That helps - the chips tend to get scooted into the holes as I'm working.

I use a pair of older hiking boots that NEVER go inside. Even with shorts on, I don't have too big a problem. I also use a canvas welding/shop apron (the cheap one from HF) whenever I know I'm going to be covered in chips.

The dog stays out of the garage. The wife parks the jeep in the garage, but usually when I'm working it stays out unless its raining.

I don't know your situation, but you may want to consider getting a cheap shop vac, and making a habit of cleaning up before you go inside. That magnetic broom works OK, but what I do is wrap a plastic grocery bag around the magnet before I use it, then it is a snap to remove the bag and the magnetized chips all fall off with it.

I painted the garage with that epoxy non-skid paint in off-white, and yes it gets dirty fast, and yes it is extremely easy to clean up.

HTH
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58
    I use a HVAC tray under my mill and a coolant flood made from an aquarium (cheap) pump. It keeps the chips from flying (95%) and keeps the tools nice and cool.
    How does that work out? I had sticker shock when I priced the real things and purchased one of those submersible fountain pumps. There is a sealed magnet in mine, so I am debating putting a mesh screen over the intake to keep chips from piling up inside the magnetic part of the pump.

It is sealed, but the magnet would still attract them I think. I was thinking about putting a magnet near the screen so it would act as a sump. I had the same setup in my 1981 truck's manual transmission - there was a magnet sealed to the transmission case near the screen, so that all the "grinding" would not make it into the filter.

That, and one of those masonry trays from Lowe's / HD to collect the drained fluid.

I was also thinking about the cutting fluid itself. Its description sounds suspiciously like radiator fluid, and that got me to thinking about using automotive radiator fluid as a cheap alternative, since the water-based cutting fluid is a bit on the pricey side.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I bought one of these to try. I have it mounted, but don't have the mist coolant yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spray-Mist-Unit-...QQcmdZViewItem
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

hcpookie, I use a 5 gallon bucket with the aquarium pump SUSPENDED (thats the key) 1/3 to 1/2 up and a magnet in the bottom of the bucket. No problems at all. The metal particulate matter settles out and is collected by the mag on the bottom and the pump being suspended keeps it away from the rest. Also the tray has a bulkhead fitting that sticks up 1/4" or so so most of the chips float in the tray and not to the bucket below the bulkhead. The pump is just a $7.00 cheapo and some vinyl tube up to the head and then I spurged and ordered encos lock swivel nozzle thingy. The tray is just the condensation tray that goes under a HVAC system located in someones attic. Maybe $15 locally.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt762x39
    Ash, Humm. pole barn (great idea) also use a fence around your mill table some thing like a hardboard. My dad used a scrap hunk of paneling to control the blue (dammmmmmmm hot) chips from the shaper from getting on him and anyone who dared venture into the shop. You angle the hardboard in at the top so the chips dive to the floor or the top of the mill table. This will sorta control the chips not 100% though Welding curtains or a canvas tarp hanging from the ceiling in a "c" shape. Plan B WEAR SHOES in the shop LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uhh you wouldn't happen to be a farmer right!?!?!?!?!? I grew up some where between farmer and city slicker.........

RIGHT, WEAR SHOES I have a pair just for the shop. Don't go any where else in them.
    I step into them just inside the door, and leave my other shoes covered up inside the door out. WEAR APRONS, so the chips don't get into your clothes. Try to make a bearer between your shop & your house. If it gets too bad I'll even change clothes before going back into the house. The wife said I get to take out any metal spliners anyone gets, right away what ever I'm doing I have to stop and play Dr. So I make sure they don't get back into the house.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock
    I bought one of these to try. I have it mounted, but don't have the mist coolant yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spray-Mist-Unit-...QQcmdZViewItem
    I saw that and like the idea. I also considered grabbing a venturi from work/making one and rigging it onto a shop vac filled with coolant. Use the exhaust to pull coolant out of the "bucket" of the shop vac and mist/spray it onto to the tool. Then I figgered I could use the vacuum end to draw in the coolant and chips where they would seperate and blah blah. I like the idea of a closed system like that and I'm sure I can make it work, when work will allow me a little time to work on it.
    And, to all the knuckleheads that say wear shoes. The problem is that I engineered my garage to have the beer fridge within arms reach of my mill and big drill press and the compressor/air tools. It's very efficient, no matter what I do I just swing an arm 'till it hits the fridge then rummage around for a beer. The unfortunate side of it is, any crap I miss in the cleanup attempt is around the fridge. Then when I shuffle out to score a cold one late in the evening, the chips attack. I'm not sure if this problem is solveable. Maybe I need multiple beer fridges? One in the corner and one at the end, hmmmm. I guess 3 would cover me under any circumstances. Maybe cool my garage to 34 and make the whole damn thing a fridge!
    Thanks guys, I guess we solved the prob.
    member # 575

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.