Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mill Question

Feedback Score

Default Mini Mill Question

Hey all,
    Just playing with my Mini mill to get familiar, before I let myself loose on something with a purpose. Practising on Half inch flat stock, 1018 grade, using standard HSS , four flute endmill.
    What is considered the most material one can safely cut in one pass. I'm going very cautiously at the moment in terms of depth and travel. Reason I'm asking I suppose, is why take 20 minutes, if it can been done in five !,
    Big time novice with Mill, so hope it's not to much of a dumb question. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

On a full size mill the general recommendation is half the end mill diameter is the max cut. Carbide reduces to 1/4 diameter. However, a mini mill will surely be less as the horsepower and rigidity isn't there. Since you are practicing I suggest you gradually increase your depth of cut until you start getting a poor finish. That will tell you the max cut for your particular setup.

Here's a basic overview:

http://www.hawkeyecollege.edu/facult...Chip-loads.ppt

Feedback Score

Thanks kernelkrink. I've been a little light on my efforts so far it seems. It looks very nice (the finish) but I've just been "shaving" more than cutting. Well, back to it and deeper this time. Won't know until I try.
    Thanks again for the info.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

There are a couple of other factors (cant get that link to work). Ae you using coolant or high sulfer oil? Or nothing?
    watch the chips, they should be uniform and consistant.
    Listen to the bit, thump thump thump is back. Squeak squeak squeak may be a new bit or you may be killling the bit.
    as for feed rate, horse power and rigidity really come in here, and you prob are lacking on both.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

vz58: are you sure your in the right forum here? "horse power and rigidity really come in here, and you prob are lacking on both." LMAO

im gonna use that line on some friends.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

I'm a little older 'tis true--but thankfully H.P. and "the other" remain !!.

For the purpose of the excercise,I'm using a straight cutting oil (chlorinated parafin base), I'm sure it has an E.P. additve package and may or may not contain Sulphur.

Finished the "test" cut without any Squeaking, thumping or Vibrations. So far, I'm really impressd with this little Machine.

Thanks again folks.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Leave it to this bunch of pervs to think of twisting my words....

Which mill have you got?

Feedback Score

It's the H.F. Mini Mill , little Bench top one.----Not the Micro Mill they also do. It's fine for my "fiddling around".

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Well if your "mini" has enough power for your "fiddling around on a bench top" for you, well go for it.

Oh God they've done it to me too.

I have wondered how capable those are.

Feedback Score

It's not just size you know, it's how you use it. I really am enjoying fiddling with this particular Tool.

Seriously, I'm a novice but I've read a lot of good stuff about these things. Beats the heck out of a Drill Press.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.