Thread: THREADING BULGY SIGHT BLOCKS

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

Default THREADING BULGY SIGHT BLOCKS

as many of you remember I was tooling up to see if I could cut the threads on the bulgy 22mm sight blocks. well the quick answer is NO.

the sight bolcks are prety hard, too hard. at first I broke a 2" die holder, next a die broke in half. so I made a custom die holder out of M1 and hardened it. the new holder would prevent the die from opening up at all as it fit the die OD exactly, preventing any expansion. now I had the full cutting load on the handel and the die's teeth ended up snapping off the second die. NO thies are not cheap dies. the load was huge, the block was just way to hard. next I decided to remove some material from a sample block to about 50% thread and the load was still huge and just broke off the teeth of the die again.
    the end result with the 3 test pieces was, one threaded is prety good. one is threaded but not very good, and the third one is untouched. total cost over $100 in tools and material + heat treat. someware between 9 and 11 hours.
    so needless to say this idea is a no go... LOL OH well you win some and you loose some...... our fellow member here that sent me the three blocks to test on was very understanding about the possable loss of one of the blocks "maby useable maby not" . A big thanks to him for his understanding.
    this was an intresting project. it is kind of too bad it did not work out as well as we all had hoped, but that is OK. most projects in the past have worked out good. I am shure many in the future will turn out good too. thanks to everyone that was intrested in this !! and please feel free to include your input for future projects

the Hotbarrel
    I am off the page for extended times due to job requirements, not gone forever

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thanks for giving it a shot Bradd.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I guess you are probably done with this project, and you may have already thought of this. Would it be possible to anneal the part of the sight block that you need to thread? Or maybe the whole sight block? Then it could be re-hardened if need be. Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

yes I did think of annealing it but thies are painted parts and the heat would remove the original finish, also all the additional work would just not be worth the effort. MABY if thies were not available anyware, allready threaded it would be worth it . but too much work to save a few bucks.
    thanks for the suggestion!! I allways welcome any input.
    HB

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

What about turning a bolt to fit tight in the barrel hole and then turning the threads on a lathe using the bolt as a shaft to clamp to.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I did something very similar to this. I made an arbor from some round stock and used a drive dog. the problem was not turning the part, it was the material was too hard for the die to cut.
    thanks HB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

HB, I believe Vz was thinking about a setup so you could single point cut the threads using a carbide bit and the threading feed on your lathe. If your lathe has a setting for metric threads this would work, but if it is as hard as I think they are, even that would leave a poor finish, break a lot of bits, etc.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

What I was refering to was what kernel said.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

OH ok now I get what you are saying. .. yes I do think they are still prety hard for that. also the gears to convert my machine to metric are extreamly expensive..
    but as allways thanks for the input , I am open to any ideas with thies projects

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.