as many of you remember I was tooling up to see if I could cut the threads on the bulgy 22mm sight blocks. well the quick answer is NO.
the sight bolcks are prety hard, too hard. at first I broke a 2" die holder, next a die broke in half. so I made a custom die holder out of M1 and hardened it. the new holder would prevent the die from opening up at all as it fit the die OD exactly, preventing any expansion. now I had the full cutting load on the handel and the die's teeth ended up snapping off the second die. NO thies are not cheap dies. the load was huge, the block was just way to hard. next I decided to remove some material from a sample block to about 50% thread and the load was still huge and just broke off the teeth of the die again.
the end result with the 3 test pieces was, one threaded is prety good. one is threaded but not very good, and the third one is untouched. total cost over $100 in tools and material + heat treat. someware between 9 and 11 hours.
so needless to say this idea is a no go... LOL OH well you win some and you loose some...... our fellow member here that sent me the three blocks to test on was very understanding about the possable loss of one of the blocks "maby useable maby not" . A big thanks to him for his understanding.
this was an intresting project. it is kind of too bad it did not work out as well as we all had hoped, but that is OK. most projects in the past have worked out good. I am shure many in the future will turn out good too. thanks to everyone that was intrested in this !! and please feel free to include your input for future projects