Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Home built flood coolant for bench top mills

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What are you guys using in the winter to prevent freezing of the coolant? My unheated barn stays about 10 degrees warmer than outside, but for the most part it is still below 32 degrees in there most of the winter.

I ended up getting some of the Sierra brand pet safe antifreeze. So far except for a greenish hue to the coolant it seems to act the same as just the coolant/water mix. I'll have to wait till it's below zero to see how it reacts or if the oils separate or not.
    Last edited by moleman; 11-02-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: add

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I do ok with synthetic oil in it until about 28*f. Last winter I used a metal pail and the smallest aquarium heater they had at wally world. If I was going to be in the shop for a few days work I would leave the cheapo heater on. If not I would pull it fearing the ice would crush it.
    sometimes my problem was slush in the impeller. Generally once you get to machining the heat pulled from the operation warms the coolant right up.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I do have an aquarium heater that I could use, but I figured if I just heated the coolant a little that it could still freeze on the machine if it was cold enough. When it's much colder than 15* (in the barn) you have to run the machines a while to let them warm up otherwise you lose quite a bit of power/speed. Your breath will also condense on the machine as frost. I really need to wall off my shop and heat it even if only to 45 degrees or so. Thanks VZ58 for all your help with my drill/mill over the years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

bench mill colling system

diy flood coolant with pool pump

flood coolant homemade

flood coolant system for mill

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.