Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I just used a silicone/latex caulk on all the seams from the inside, and I put a thick foam gasket on the door.
    I also put on a vac recently, I got a lid thing from HF that fits a 5 gal buck and put water in it so the dust isn't just getting sucked into the vac.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9586
    It's tipocal low quality and the fittings need some modding, had to heat some of the parts with a heat gun and reshape them to fit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yep same here, silicone on the seams but my door seal is good and just stock the vacum hose right in the hole on the back where the deflector is so that it doenst pul out the media unless its up flying around in the air.

what i dont have that Coils may have is a light inside!!! that would be a major plus.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Lights are nice, but if your media is breaking down they tend to illuminate the dust cloud more than what you're trying to blast.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

what i dont have that Coils may have is a light inside!!! that would be a major plus
    I do and it is.
    But it's one I added. I got one of those aluminum bell shaped work lights and use a florecent bulb so it doesn't give off to much heat, cut a hole in the top a little smaller then the light, got a piece of plexi glass to cover the hole and used 4 bolts with fender washers and wing nuts to hold it all in place.

Lights are nice, but if your media is breaking down they tend to illuminate the dust cloud more than what you're trying to blast.
    That's why I added the vac, it looked like a heavy fog and got hard to see.
    Last edited by Coils; 11-20-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

This is the made in USA cabinet I bought and use. It has a vucuum port and a light. I have used it for years and have had zero problems!!

http://www.tptools.com/p/432,54_780-...t-Cabinet.html

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils
    I do and it is.
    But it's one I added. I got one of those aluminum bell shaped work lights and use a florecent bulb so it doesn't give off to mush hear, cut a hole in the top a little smaller then the light, got a piece of plexi glass to cover the hole and used 4 bolts with fender washers and wing nuts to hold it all in place.

That's why I added the vac, it looked like a heavy fog and got hard to see.
    Don't get me wrong, my cab has a pair of 18" florescent lights for illumination and I surely wouldn't want to blast in the dark.

My cab is an 24"x36" Dayton(Grainger) model, and I use a Cadillac abrasive separator for dust collection.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

that fellow up there has a nice cabinet...

mine is pretty good size but has the sloped front end and is hooked into my shop Hepa Vac system,,, cause its at work.... nothing like making someone else pay for your toys!!

my media doesnt get broke down cause i change it out damn near every time.

BUT i would like to put in a light!!!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I did want to get a nice cabinet with extras like you guys posted but when HF put it on sale and I photo-shopped the date on a 25% coupon, I couldn't pass it up. With the cabinet and the other things I've done to it, it's still under $100. And I don't use it much, if I did a lot of blasting I would definately get a quality cabinet.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

We use ground glass due to plant rules for sandblasting.The two compressors/ driers are great when they work right (lots of clean dry air). I found out that the mechanics were cleaning out flame arrestors with the work blasting cabinet; the flame arrestors have everything under the sun in them as far as extremely corrosive chemical leftovers. The new cabinet at home will not have this problem as it will only see firearm related blasting using 30/65 silica or glass beads depending on the job. Live & learn.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner
    What are y'all using for blast media in the cab at work? Beach sand? Sounds like either the media has become contaminated and needs replacement and/or the compressor's air tank needs draining.

While having a seperate cabinet for specific jobs has it's advantages, you'd also need a healthy compressor to run it.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I had no idea that I would get the response that showed up from the forum on this subject. Thanks for the input & ideas. I lined the new cabinet with 3/32" sheet rubber held in place with magnets from industrial mag-drive pumps(that were destroyed in usage). The twin bulb lighting system was broken from shipping and I should be getting another this weekend as a replacement. I copied an internet ad for $100.00 off the purchase price & it was honored at the store.
    The actual siphon feed blast grip/nozzle will probably work fine for a while, but it will have to be replaced with something a bit more sturdy.
    Back to building more fun guy toys..........

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.