Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Blast Cabinet

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Does the siphon gun have steel or ceramic nozzles? After getting tired of trying to hunt down new nozzles for my cabinet's original gun I replaced it with one from a "bucket blaster" siphon setup from Northern Tools. Since the cab has a foot switch for air control I removed the trigger and valve and just welded the holes up where they went. The gun works just fine and I can buy new ceramic nozzles for it locally.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Tailgunner if you mean the HF one it has ceramic nozzles, the guns are cheap but seems like it will last for a little while.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

TG im in the same thing with Coils here...

my cabinet is actually a CP but i got it at HF and it does have a rubber siphon set up with ceramic nozzles.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Cool, with the ceramic nozzles they should last a good while.

Mine came with a steel nozzle that I wore out in no time, but then I use my blast cab a lot. I picked up the ceramic replacement nozzles when I bought the new siphon gun, and typically get three months of use out of one before replacement. I replace the air jet every third nozzle, and the gun is still going strong after a couple of years of use.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I bought a hand held blaster from Sears a while back that I will replace the HF one with when it wears out. Both have the ceramic nozzles which I have plenty of replacements for as of now.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Cue
    Feedback Score

I know ii am bumping an old thread but i have a question. It states in the manual of the cabinet to not use aluminum oxide.
    Does anyone know why it states this?
    Is there anything i can do to use it?
    and does people just use it anyway?

blu
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

i just put one together yesterday. like harbor freights 30 lb material model, but made by speedway. checked instructions... no comments on alumOx. and that is what i'm going to use.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I didn't read the manual on mine. But the only reason I can think of why it says not to use aluminum oxide would be because of the gun, it's made of a soft metal and the aluminum oxide might wear through it faster? Sounds good but don't know if it's right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default HF Blast Cabinet, 25x15 Work Area, $69.99

If you have an HF store near you they have a benchtop blast cabinet on sale (in store only for next week or two) for $69.99. $30.00 off the normal store and internet price. 25x15 work area, double doors, 3 nozzles, gloves, dustport. Bought one today (well, guess it was yesterday since it's 4am now).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45411

Feedback Score

Aside from the increased abrasive properties of aluminum oxide over glass bead media, aluminum oxide dust is not something you want floating around your garage/shop to be sucked into your lungs if you can help it. From Wikipedia:

"Aluminum has been established as a neurotoxin. Aluminum chloride, an aluminum salt that is commonly used in antiperspirants, is also commonly used in studies on aluminum-induced neurotoxicity. Aluminum itself adversely affects the blood-brain barrier, is capable of causing DNA damage, and has adverse epigenetic effects. Research has shown that the aluminum salts used in antiperspirants have detrimental effects to a number of species such as non-human primates, mice, dogs and others. An increased amount of aluminum is also present in the brains of many Alzheimer's patients, although this link does not seem to be causal. "

There may be fiction in the above quote but I don't plan on being the human lab rat that finds out so I prefer to use glass beads over aluminum.

This is not to say that glass bead/silica dust is harmless. You can get Silicosis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

No matter what you use, be sure to use a good dust containment system and wear a quality mask on blast day. Getting a respritory reaction from dust in your lungs is just not cool and avoidable - happend to me once and it sucked.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.