Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HF mini mill kapoot!!!

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I have a Grizzly version of the mini mill which I converted to a belt drive that I got from Little Machine Shop . Com. You then have no gears to break anymore, less noise when running and no more gear changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gassaway
    appears I broke the drive gear for the spindle.
    engines running but spindle is not not turning .

drilling out a oversized hole..................... who has replacement parts for these

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've wondered about that belt drive. The drive would pay for itself after you've busted enough of those stupid gears! I'm on my 5th gear I think...

However after looking at it, it appears to not replace the intermediate gear - does it not have to since it would slip before it breaks?

This is the only gear I've ever had break:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...207&category=6

You have to wonder why they made this one plastic - the key slot makes that plastic so thin, it is destined to break on a regular basis....
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

It replaces only the plastic gear drive wheel. The high/low speed range selector is set to neutral or removed all together (I left mine in neutral instead of taking everything apart). It gives the mill a better speed range selection to work with IMHO and is worth the investment. There is also an addition of a gas piston support for the mill to give you more upper head room to work & less effort to operate the head. After a year of usage; my mill...when you release the head lock, would suddenly drop if you weren't holding onto the controls. I have the addition, but have not installed it as of yet.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin

Feedback Score

well guys any one have a tutorial how to tear out the spindle ? im a little ways is it first layer off but can see how its removed ? i assume it all comes out as a unit?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I believe that the people who sell/manufacture the belt drive conversion kit have an online step by step tutorial on how to remove the spindle. Look on the LittleMachineShop.com website and you should find it there. I may be wrong about the site, but google the mill & belt drive & you should find what you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by gassaway
    well guys any one have a tutorial how to tear out the spindle ? im a little ways is it first layer off but can see how its removed ? i assume it all comes out as a unit?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I just ordered a H.F. mini mill. Do they come with collets or end mill holders?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by driswalds
    I just ordered a H.F. mini mill. Do they come with collets or end mill holders?
    Mine didn't. I ordered collets, ect, from LittleMachineShop.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

The mill is just the start of the purchase. All of the other necessary items you have to figure out what you need as you go. Grizzly does offer a lot of them, but Little Machine Shop.Com is the place to go when you really need help or parts...

Feedback Score

So it is worth it, to buy that Har. Fre. Mini Lathe, or not. Conversion to a belt drive seems like a good idea. But I'm just follow you all on this, so I don't make no mistakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.