Thread: spindle disassemby on mini mill

Feedback Score

Default spindle disassemby on mini mill

ok guys How do I get the spindle out. have top and bottom covers off and cant figure out what next

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

? are you trying to disassemble? Which mini-mill? Did you break a gear? If it is the commonly-broken gear on the mini-mill, you won't need to remove the spindle. The spindle shaft has two diameters, and all the gears and spacers are a bugger to reinstall. I really would not disassemble the spindle unless you are absolutely certain you need to.

If it is Harbor Freight, look at the manual. The exploded view is one of the last pages, and also availalbe as PDF on littlemachineshop.com

The spindle is pressed into place in-between two bearings. I had to replace the bearings on mine this summer. NOT fun.

The gear box needs to come off of the mill to do it properly. Meaning removing the motor, controller, and the micro-feed adjustment. I would not even bother unless you take the gear box off of the mill.

When the gear box (and spindle!) is out, set it in the press to remove it, or on a vise if you don't have one. You can remove the spindle by hammering on a block of wookd to protect the end of the spindle. I would not hammer on it directly because if you mushroom it, it may not hold collets correctly.

The bearing on the end will push out because the spindle pushes it out. There are keyway keys to keep track of, too. Those can get lost real fast.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

yea i broke gears got new replacemet set in its a speedway...
    just trying to figure out how it comes out. so it presses out through top then?

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Next time you break the gear, go to Little Machine Shop.Com and get a belt/pulley upgrade and you will wonder how you ever did with out it. Quiet, strong, no plastic gears to break again.......and so on
    Quote Originally Posted by gassaway
    yea i broke gears got new replacemet set in its a speedway...
    just trying to figure out how it comes out. so it presses out through top then?

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.