Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adhesive advice needed

Self-Proclaimed Armorer bloodsport2885's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Adhesive advice needed

My first ever ak was a cheap wasr 10 and its been my project gun ever since I bought it. What Im doing is adding shims inside the mag area made of black delrin and I need some help with adhesive choice. Ive cut them to size and plan on drilling shallow holes to accept the adhesive but Im not sure which to use. Does JB weld have the strength to take friction from magazines being rocked into place?

Some might see this as a stupid project but I need something to do till my CMP garand gets here lol.
    Hold Mah Beer and watch this sh*t.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Why are you adding shims? mag-wobble??? JB weld would be worth a try, I think the only thing that might get to it after time is oil...and it might break loose. Might not ever come loose...try it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The mag wobble sucks in it. I got spoiled since I built my polish underfolder and figured I had time and $5. Another thing I came up with was to notch the shim so it fits over the section of the lower rail that is SUPPOSED to stabilize the magazine. Im experimenting here in my head and havn't tried it in the rifle, so if it interferes with the bolt Ill just scrap that idea. Thanks 555th

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

You got the right idea, I wish I had more details, but a shooting buddy did something like this but had metal shims welded in. You shouldn't need ones the go all the way to the rails but try to go the length of the mag well.
    Sorry can't suggest an adhesive.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I've never done it ,but how about a couple dedicated mags that have a thin layer of sheet metal spotwelded on? Might also be easier to inspect and repair if they loosen up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I had this problem and went to a Yugo bolt hold open mag and the fit was much tighter next to no play

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Why not spot weld metal pieces, or tap for a couple of screws. Screws installed from the inside and countersunk could be ground flush on the outside, and with some lacquer putty and paint you'd never know they were present.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think you will find it is very hard to get glue to stick to Delrin. Might help some if your shallow holes were wider at the bottom than at the entrance to add some mechanical resistance to "pull out" in addition to the glue bond.

From the Wiki:

"Bonding
    Acetal polymers are typically very difficult to bond. Special processes and treatments have been developed to improve bonding of acetal. Typically these processes involve surface etching, flame treatment or mechanical abrasion. Typical etching processes involve chromic acid at elevated temperatures. DuPont has a patented process for treating acetal homopolymer called satinizing which creates anchor points on the surface, giving an adhesive something to grab. There are also processes involving oxygen plasma and corona discharge[4].

Once the surface is prepared, a number of adhesives can be used for bonding. These include epoxies, polyurethanes, and cyanoacrylates. Epoxies have shown 150-500 psi shear strength on mechanically abraded surfaces and 500-1000 psi on chemically treated surfaces. Cyanoacrylates are useful for bonding to metal, leather, rubber and other plastics.

Solvent welding is typically unsuccessful on acetal polymers, due to the excellent solvent resistance of acetal. Thermal welding through various methods has been used successfully on both homopolymer and copolymer."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You should spot weld some metal plates into place. Delrin, if you can actually get adhesive to stick to it, will wear down on you. But I doubt you'd get that far.

Look here to see a factory metal shim weld job on a Russian RPK:

http://www.aa-ok.com/kr.htm
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Id like to weld some shims in because it sounds like a better idea. Ill wait till next year when I get the time to use some better finish than the grill paint I have on it now. Would I be able to weld through the existing shims, new shim, and receiver without blowing out one layer of metal? Ive never done any welding with my spot welder so Im pretty clueless with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.