Thread: Press plates

Feedback Score

Default Press plates

The press plates that came with my HF press are entirely lacking. What is a good thickness of steel to use for press plates? Is O-1 tool steel good or bad for this use?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

this is my opinion..
    I would use regular 1018 steel about 1" thick. Heres my logic: 1018 is softer than anything I will press, so if something mars it will hopefully be the plates. You certainly don't want a metal that will break before bending... I ve seen someone lose teeth pushing out a water pump shaft when the socket he was using went suddenly.

Just my .02

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Agree with VZ, you want something softer than tool steel.

A36 plate would be my choice. Since it's a common structural steel you should have no problems finding suitable cutoff pieces that are priced as scrap.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

There's a post here somewhere that covers milling those things to a uniform thickness but I can't find it. I can't remember if it worked. This is normal for me.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

I was looking on the www.victornet.com site and they have 18" blocks of O-1 tool steel on sale. Look for the ** next to the part number for sale prices. Anyway, I thought this might be a good choice to get some good steel and make some press plates. I figured O-1 would be too hard/brittle for press plates.

I saw the post where the plates were surface ground. One of my plates is a good 3/16" thicker than the other. It would cost a bunch to get this machined down and its still crappy chinese cast steel. Last time I went to a machine shop for a small job it cost me $100. Nobody around here wants to touch anything unless it's high tech of aircraft carrier sized. Metal dealers here are similarly picky. Unless you are buying in the tons, they don't have the time to talk to you.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

BKbrno where are you?

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.