What press to use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What press to use?

Feedback Score

Question What press to use?

20 ton? Model? And what should it cost? Any options needed? Electric or hand pump? Since it will only be used for builds I don't think I need top of the line.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I like the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight. Although the ten ton is cheaper is probably plenty strong enough, it's frame is bolted together instead of welded as in the case of the twenty ton. It tends to have a great deal of wobble, and I would not trust it to hold true during a barrel pressing. Some have weldedthe frame together with some success however

You can get the twenty ton on sale for $169.95. I have one and it works great. For this provision, it is made to order.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I crush the rivets on a 55 ton HOWEVER you do NOT need that. I watch the guage on the press and it reads about 11 ton at the end. many guys have used a ten ton with great results. my oppinion however is if you can at all afford the few extra bucks get the twenty ton.
    Second topic... hand opperated only this way you can feel what is happening. yes you will feel the resistance as it increases. With electric you have no feel and by the time you see something wrong it may be too late. spend the extra you would have spent for a power press and get the 20 ton.

HAY this is just my oppinion

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrel
    I crush the rivets on a 55 ton HOWEVER you do NOT need that. I watch the guage on the press and it reads about 11 ton at the end. many guys have used a ten ton with great results. my oppinion however is if you can at all afford the few extra bucks get the twenty ton.
    Second topic... hand opperated only this way you can feel what is happening. yes you will feel the resistance as it increases. With electric you have no feel and by the time you see something wrong it may be too late. spend the extra you would have spent for a power press and get the 20 ton.

HAY this is just my oppinion

give it my second. Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Stick with the square presses. "A" frames may not provided enough clearance Also the Square framed 20 ton are welded mot bolted together.

It is important to remember that these beauties are made in the PRC and are not as good as good old USA stuff, but for our provision should surfice

Feedback Score

Question PRC? Damn.

I'd rather not support the PRC. They get enough money through Wal-Mart. (I don't shop there either). Who makes a good 'ol USA version?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

I've been looking for an American 20 ton press also. It seems the prices are out of this world, like $700.00 - $900.00 for a Norco (which isn't top of the line either). I would love to buy U.S., I just can't affort it.

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAKG
    20 ton? Model? And what should it cost? Any options needed? Electric or hand pump? Since it will only be used for builds I don't think I need top of the line.
    I recieved a sale flier from Homier (sp?) the other day. They have listed a 20 ton, square frame press for $99.00! I think that I paid close to $180.00 for mine at Harbor Freight!

Check them out. I think that they have a web site. They will be having a tent sale at the Richmond Virginia raceway starting today, 18 March through Sunday, 21 March.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thumb Clip Pull Pin
    I recieved a sale flier from Homier (sp?) the other day. They have listed a 20 ton, square frame press for $99.00! I think that I paid close to $180.00 for mine at Harbor Freight!

Check them out. I think that they have a web site. They will be having a tent sale at the Richmond Virginia raceway starting today, 18 March through Sunday, 21 March.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin
    REALLY? Hrm I may just have to get one at that price! I'm going to be up in NN this weekend and may as well head up there to the sale while I'm at it.

Hafta check their website now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.