Thread: A good book for a machinist newbie?

Feedback Score

Question A good book for a machinist newbie?

Hi folks. My first post here, but I've been around other boards for a while.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to machine work. Is there a good book out there that explains machine work in simple terms? I need to learn about X and Y axis, cutting tools, etc.

I know working with a machinist would help me immensely, but I don't know one.

Thanks!

JoeLad

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

This is just one amateur's opinion...

Any edition of "Machinery's Handbook" will be a great addition to your library. The "Machinery's Handbook Guide" is a great supplement to the handbook. The books cover a massive range of topics including: mathematics, mechanics, strength of materials, machining operations, and manufacturing processes. These can be bought online, but shop around for a better price.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

You don't need the absolute latest edition, so don't pass up an earlier revision if it's really cheap. I'm pretty sure the latest revision is 26, as I haven't seen anything newer.

Feedback Score

What Rhino_66 said. If it is the only book you ever get, that'll be OK. Keep it on your bedside table a read a little every night.

Feedback Score

Thanks fellas. I saw it on Amazon, and it looks very comprehensive.
    I'm also looking at the "Home Machinist" by Doug Briney.

I think a road trip to the local HF store is in order...

JoeLad

Feedback Score

the X axis is where the hammer pin goes through and the Y axis is for the trigger pin. Suprizingly a book with some of the most relavant machine work on guns specifically is available at walmart in the sporting goods area. It's called "gunsmithing at home" and is marked down to $11 at my walmart.

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLad
    Hi folks. My first post here, but I've been around other boards for a while.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to machine work. Is there a good book out there that explains machine work in simple terms? I need to learn about X and Y axis, cutting tools, etc.

I know working with a machinist would help me immensely, but I don't know one.

Thanks!

JoeLad
    JoeLad,

There is a two volume set call "Machine Shop Practices" that are excellent. There is an old South Bend Lathe book called "How to Run a Lathe". It was written back in the 1940's but it is a pretty good basic book. There are two magazines that are published every other month. One is called "The Home Shop Machinest" the other used to be called "Projects in Metal" but the name has been changed. I can't remember what the new name is this second. (Senior moment!)

The best hands on method that won't cost an arm and a leg= check your local vocational/technical state run school. They may have evening machine shop courses. They last two semesters generally. You will have to pay for the course, cost of the course book, and a small "Lab" fee. (Usually discounts for veterans.) These are well worth the time.

Lastly, look on the internet for "machinist clubs" in your area. Some of them meet monthly.

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLad

JoeLad
    http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-524/toc.htm

Helped me.
    I agree, The Machinery Handbook is excellent on the night stand. I can think of nothing that's a better aid to sleep.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.