Thread: WTK, Tantal and ammo crate price check?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default WTK, Tantal and ammo crate price check?

I've been offered a matching numbers Tantal kit and a 2160 ct. crate of steel core(?) ammo for $620. I'm late on the scene for 5.45 rifles. I know that 5.45 kits and ammo was very inexpensive a year plus ago. I know that the Tantal is more involved to replicate in semi form. Is this a good deal in today's climate and what options do I have for a receiver? Was this rifle available in a fixed stock configuration? I have enough folders and too few fixed stock.

Dirty Harry.
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, the ammo is worth about $300+ at todays prices so that's a fairly cheap kit in today's market.

You can build it on a standard AK74 receiver using a standard AK74 FCG and selector. Easiest, but it will be missing the left side selector. Not "correct" but functions just like a correct one would.

You can build it on an NDS Tantal receiver that has the proper cutouts and spacing for both selectors that come in the kit. You still use the normal AKM FCG but the left side selector is installed and looks correct. IIRC, you can either leave it non-functional or rig it up as a left side safety lever.

AFAIK, the actual "Tantal" version always had the sidefolder stock. It fits into a normal fixed stock trunnion though, so replacing it with a fixed is just a remove and replace operation with no mods needed.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Not a steal but a fair deal if the Kit is nice and complete with original barrel, Kits were selling for $345 a while back no idea if they are still priced the same now.. ammo was selling for $3bills plus. Ammo is corrosive if it is Mil spec... B2B

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm thinking I'll do the deal. I hope I can talk him down a bit on the asking price. I have some knowledge and equipment to blue that will come in handy for him. We'll see. The kit is #'s matching, typical mismatched hand guards, side folder, all extras, no magazines. The ammo is supposed steel core in a wooden crate? I'm not sure how to tell. Anyone in the know?

The barrel is original and the ammo is mil-spec. I'm not afraid of corrosive ammo because I clean.
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'd say go for it, even at his asking price, mainly because of the ammo is now around $150 per 1k so that's like $300 for the kit.
    Can't tell you how to look at the markings for steel core, use a magnet on a round?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If the ammo inside the crate is packed in twin "spam cans" of 1080 rds each with russian/bulgarian/polish writing on it then it is the milspec stuff with the steel and lead core, corrosive but stores for a long time. All the milspec stuff is steel core, the only lead core stuff is commercial ammo.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.