Gunco Forums banner

Rogers & Spencer

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Peteess 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics from an old relic I got from a friend who literally dug it up while demolishing an old garage barn with his Hitachi shovel. This pistol is a fine crafted weapon, after holding it, my S&W 629 8 3/8 seems the lesser of quality. The old timers really took pride in their craft. If any one knows about this pistol let me know, my sidekick wants me to sell it and split the booty.
It has Rogers & Spencer and UTICAN-NY on the top strap, there are 2 "B"s and the letter "X" stamped on the left grip panel and the serial # 4147 is stamped on the upper side of the forward part of the loading lever, and the # 41 is stamped on the other portion that serves as axis for the magazine.
The holster has "7 1/2" and the #5 stamped on the belt loop

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to get a hold of someone that specializes in these types of guns, they make a reproduction of this model (first link below), and that thing looks to be in excellent condition to be a mid to late 1800's gun. (second link)
Oh and it looks like you typed it wrong but it should be UTICA-NY, town & state, not trying to be a dick just pointing it out.
Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
Army Revolvers

So you really need to know what it is, your looking at something worth a couple hundred to maybe ten thousand+

#5 ·
You need to get a hold of someone that specializes in these types of guns, they make a reproduction of this model (first link below), and that thing looks to be in excellent condition to be a mid to late 1800's gun. (second link)
Oh and it looks like you typed it wrong but it should be UTICA-NY, town & state, not trying to be a dick just pointing it out.
Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
Army Revolvers

So you really need to know what it is, your looking at something worth a couple hundred to maybe ten thousand+
You are right Coils, it is stamped N.Y., thanks for catching that...

#4 ·
sweet piece!and luck!!
its a bit outa my collection range but i think rodgers and spencer refers to the designers
spencer from the civil war spencer carbine
and rodgers i dont know but im sure if you search it you can find out
i think it might be a valuable find
any history of where he found it?like the previous owners past?
if you can link it to someone of historical importance you might be surprised at the prices itll fetch!!
good luck with it!!:)

#9 ·
You are right about linking it with historical evidence, and another factor I have just learned is it also is worth a lot more with the original bluing intact. It only needs to be fired a few times for the temperature to reach 800 degrees for the bluing to flake off as shown in the pic of the pistol. The pistol is an original and have been offered 80% of it's value of $2,800 . The small chip missing from the handle and loss of bluing dropped it's potential value of $3,500 or higher, and as you say if it were linked with some historical character it would even be worth a lot more.

#7 ·
You know zteknik, has made a good point in checking it's history....I don't understand the laws about getting an antique registered, especially the way it was found. The property owners were only interested in improving their real estate and just gave it away. What concerns me is if it were stolen from a previous owner. I will have the sn# checked out with my local gun dealer right away. It being an antique doesn't make it exempt from ownership.....

#8 ·
I thought I knew old revolvers fairly well, and I've never heard of Rogers & Spencer.

[snip]

Rogers & Spencer Revolver - May 2000

The Rogers & Spencer Percussion Revolver was originally manufactured in Willowvale, NY about 1863-65. In January 1865, the United States government contracted with Rogers & Spencer for 5,000 of the solid frame pistols. Delivery on the contract was made too late for war service, and the entire lot was sold as scrap to Francis Bannerman and Son in 1901. Bannerman then sold the pistols throughout the first quarter of the 20th Century. Many original Rogers & Spencer revolvers are seen today in excellent, near mint condition.

The Rogers and Spencer Army Model Revolver was actually an improvement of earlier pistols produced by the firm - the Pettingill and Freeman revolvers. The Pettingills were produced in the late 1850's and early 1860's, and were double action revolvers. The Pettingills were ahead of their time, being designed as hammerless pistols, which were popular in the last decade of the 19th Century, but certainly too avant garde for Army purchasers. The Navy Model was a .34 caliber, of which less than 1,000 were produced. The Army Model was a .44 caliber, and only about 3,400 were produced in the early 1860's. The Freeman Army Model Revolver was a solid frame .44 caliber pistol with a round 7 1/2" barrel, of which 2,000 are believed to have been produced in 1863-64, and in appearance the Freeman resembles a Starr Revolver.

The Rogers & Spencer is an improved Freeman, with a less severe grip style, a heavier frame and a stronger octagon barrel of identical 7 1/2" length. Interestingly, the Rogers & Spencer design is eligible for N-SSA competitions because the contract was consummated before the end of hostilities.

The current reproduction of the Rogers & Spencer Army Model Revolver is produced in Italy and available from several merchants who deal in blackpowder pistols.

[/snip]

I guess the first thing is to figure out of it's a real one or a reproduction. Either way, it looks like a nice find!

#10 ·
The small chip missing from the handle and loss of bluing dropped it's potential value
If that's the original bluing, I think it's in excellent condition for it's age. Is it museum quality? Most likely not, but it's still in great shape.

#11 · (Edited)
I really couldn't tell ya Coils, but I am trying to get another appraisal from your link..Dixie Gun... and am waiting on a reply. The offer I received was from Mike Simens. Here is some info on his history:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]http://www.michaelsimens.com/index.asp
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Another good point in dealing with Mike Simens is that he provides insurance before the item is mailed. He requests a $25.00 check to be sent with the pistol as to cover the shipping cost if it is to be returned to the seller in case there is a disagreement with the final appraisal. If it is to be purchased by him, he will send the $25.00 check back to the seller on top of the agreed price. A pdf Certificate of Property Insurance form can be downloaded by the Travelers Insurance Company via his link. He has insured my pistol for $3,200. There is a strict packaging policy. There is also the option of him selling the pistol on consignment through his website if I feel I need a higher price.
I looks pretty fail safe, as you know there are a lot of buyers out there with just a p.o.box and a lot of talk in scamming your interests, not being what they portray them selves to be.
What do you think about this, this is a first time "through the mail" deal for me?

#12 ·
To me, I'd ship it as a last resort, I'd try to find someone in your area first, but that's the way I'd want to do it. Maybe even an auction house could give you some info or even a cowboy/civil war type forum?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.