Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HF TIG $ ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

An arc welder of any type is at heart just a power supply. The Tig torch takes that power and puts the arc out through a small diameter tungsten electrode that is not consumed in the process, the shielding gas prevents the tungsten from burning up as well as protecting the weld puddle from the oxy in the air. The small diameter means less power is needed to make a small puddle and the concentrated heat makes the heat affected zone smaller.

When arc welding with a consumable electrode, you replace the Tig torch with a standard electrode holder and leave the gas turned off. Now it operates just like a normal DC arc welder, but with only 90 amps of power it is suitable only for smaller/thinner work as you won't get much penetration.

I lucked onto a ThermalArc welding power supply at work, it does TIG, Stick, and MIG. There is a switch for each mode, but that is mainly because it has several current modification controls and some are not desireable for a particular type of welding. It came with a Miller wire feeder with a feeder gun on it for AL wire. It works for all 3 types of welding, I just need to get more practice in, especially on the AL MIG.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Typically for doing gunsmith type welding the duty cycle is not a problem. you usually use low amps and don't weld for very long at a time. so overheating the machine is not a problem.

I build a lot of receivers with mine before I bought the little miller I have now and never had a problem with overheating it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

but aren't tig welders gas and less heat. So does this unit provide both arc and tig (with less heat and doesn;t need gas?).
    Gas yes, I don't know about less heat but it definitely doesn't heat up as much area of the work. Yes it can be used as an ARC welder too, but I never tried it.
    The easiest way for me to explain TIG welding is to compare it to oxy/acetylene welding but using electricity rather then a flame, the arc jumps from the tungsten rod to the work (like a flame), melt the work as needed then add a little filler, then move on a little and try to make a bead.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

tig is a precise arc, like in these photos. unlike stick or mig, there is no spatter or slag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

I lucked into my ThermalArc 190S for $250 a several years ago. It has auto sensing for 110 or 220v. Works with stick or tig. Bought a pedal for tig. Lift start or scratch start. It and the HF are inverter welders. Biggest downfall no Aluminum welding. I remember reading about a pedal mod for the HF welder some where on the net.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I remember reading about a pedal mod for the HF welder some where on the net
    It was talked about on here, there's a couple videos on YouTube, and if you search the HF model # some forums come up with the info.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There was a tutorial by Pvt Joker over on AKfiles, but for some reason only the Google Cached page is coming up.

The AK Files Forums - Harbor Freight TIG welder foot pedal mod

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

555th,
    I got your pm but I can't reply right now, and no my box isn't full again , I'll try again in a few minutes and if that doesn't work it will be tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Never mind, I got to send him a message.
    Last edited by Coils; 04-12-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Been TIG welding for 20+ years . Its all I do any more and its the only welding form I am truly competent at to be honest. Duty cycle is not a concern for a small welder like that for gun work. Looks like a good deal to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.