Went out to try a few new load ideas for my muzzleloader today. Here in Nebraska, they have this nifty thing where as long as it's not posted otherwise, target shooting is legal on the state-run wildlife management areas (WMA's). We have a fairly large (1200-ish acres) WMA about 30 miles south of me that i've gone target shooting at a few times prior. Great area--2 large soybean fields on the west border, good thick hardwood timber section, and the east border is the Missouri river.

So we headed out today, and I got a few really nice loads worked out (should make for a fun season). We packed up and started talking to a guy who had just arrived as we were gettin ready to go, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a flicker of something across the bean field about 350 yards away. Turned and watched 5 does, 2 yearling bucks (or "dinks" as we call 'em around here--for the dinky antlers), and 2 very mature bucks, maybe 150-160ish rough estimate, head out into the field to eat. They didn't eat for long, though, because the two older bucks decided it was time to find out who got to knock up the does.

We got to watch the sparring show for about 15-20 minutes before it got too dark to watch from our spot. We packed up and headed home.

This, by the way, is the same area we're going to be hunting in November, so hopefully I see one of those guys again.