Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes and Fire Ants

Gunco Girleen pistol-packin-wifey's Avatar
    Feedback Score

thanks, PG, but i want to learn to do it myself. can't afford to pay someone to do it, plus i think it's an interesting lost art to learn

actually that place has really good prices for fur on tanning.....but i still want to learn it
    "The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune.... Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character...." -- President Grover Cleveland

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

They're like barracuda, so well adapted that survival is not an issue.

They kill for the fun of it.

I've even let a cockroach walk. These and fire ants are the only things I'll kill just to kill them.

I'd love it if someone could use the hide. There's a 7 mag hole through the rear and a cz52 hole through the back of the neck. And we've not hit cold weather here yet so the pelt's not full.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

well, WinnR, if i find out how to do it anytime really soon, i'll definitely use it and either send it back to you or pay you for it.
    "The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune.... Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character...." -- President Grover Cleveland

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Game
    anyone got a trick to make them come around? I wanna shoot me some .. had one stalk me once.
    I'm originally from Texas and as a kid my brothers an I must have killed a couple
    hundred when they paid a bounty for them ($5 each).

If you know you have them around in your area, the best thing we found to do was
    use a rabbit squeeler ( $11.99 @ Cabella's. Just search for "rabbit call" from their main
    page, and it will take you right to it).

We would set up, usually with semi auto .22's, but sometimes with M-1 carbines, or
    .220 Swift and .222 Rem Magnum rifles. We would find a lone tree or group of trees
    with a clear field of view for about 100 yards or more all the way around. Best time
    to set up was about an hour and a half before sunset. Use the call, and just keep
    watching. Use it real loud the first couple minutes, then space the calls out, and
    muffle them a little, and Wiley E Coyote will come lookin' for a easy dinner!!! Depending
    on how bold they are in your area, you can call them to within 15 or 20 yards if they
    are really lookin' for that rabbit and not paying attention to you.

If you want to read more about the Coyote as a species, this is a great source: http://www.canids.org/species/Coyote.pdf

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thanks smitty.

I've wondered if the low cost calls worked.

I'll get one.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

That does sound like an excellent idea. I just may have to get one of those calls and do some huntin'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

For pistol-packin-wifey, you should subscribe to The BackWoodsman Magazine, or go to http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com. Not only is there a wealth of outdoor info, but how-to info on tanning your own furs and many other lost skills.
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Feedback Score

WinnR..Some guys have all the fun..I've been wanting to go hunting them for awhile now..can't seem to get anybody interested though..one of these days...you can keep the fire ants..those little bastards bite..
    you got to kill it to grill it...Ted Nugent

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8
    For pistol-packin-wifey, you should subscribe to The BackWoodsman Magazine, or go to http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com. Not only is there a wealth of outdoor info, but how-to info on tanning your own furs and many other lost skills.
    thanks, Scorpion8! i'll give it a try......i'm into all kinds of backwoods/survivalist kind of stuff

Feedback Score

Try here for tanning info http://www.braintan.com/

I haven't tried it but the site and methods are well thought of on the Mountain Man List.

packratt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.