Funniest Hunting Story
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funniest Hunting Story

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Funniest Hunting Story

I'll tell about the time of my first turkey kill. I was new into turkey hunting and some buddies asked me what I was hunting with. I told them my 20 gauge with 3" magnums. Like I said, I was new and I didn't want to destroy the bird. Man they laughed at me for days saying it was impossible to kill a turkey with a 20 gauge. I always love a good challenge, so I set out to prove them wrong.

Spring gobbler season rolled around and I had a blast the first week. Never got a shot off, but I was having the time of my life chasing after them. Saturday morning rolled around and I was out in the woods before daylight. I had roosted some nice birds the night before and couldn't hardly wait to get started. Just as daylight broke, so did the rain. Man, I was soaked from head to toe. I couldn't hear anything for the rain, so I headed home. About 9:30 am it was still raining hard so I gave up for the day and decided to do something else. About 10:00 am as I was leaving the house, it stopped raining, and I heard a hen calling and a tom answering within 300 yards of the house. So I changed into another pair of dry hunting clothes grabbed my calls and took off.

I was able to hide behing the bank of an old logging road and crept to within a hundred yards of the tom. I called and I called but the tom wouldn't respond. Then the hen I heard earlier started imitating me and the tom went nuts. He came to within 50 yards and I coulcdn't get him any closer. I could tell he was a big one and I didn't want to let him get away. I figured 50 yards was a pretty long shot for a 20 gauge on a turkey, so I came up with a plan. I'd shoot him, and if that didn't kill him, it would at least stun him. Then after I shot, I would run as fast as I could to a closer distance and get a second shot.

Here we go. Like I mentioned earlier, I was using a single shot 20 gauge. So I took a careful aim, shot, and hit my mark. He was stumbling and I was running. I reached into my pocket only to then realize that the rest of my shells were still in my wet pants. I'm nearly to the turkey by this point and he is coming to his senses. I figured 200 pound man, 20 pound turkey, no contest. I'm 5 feet behind him and he is starting to fly about a foot of the ground. I threw my gun and jumped right square on his back.

Man I tell you, after about 5 minutes of the worst thrashing and thumping of my life, I finally wore the turkey down. Pound for pound turkeys has to be one of the strongest animals living. It was all I could do to hold on to him. And had I not grabbed his feet when I first jumped him, I probably would have never held him.

Do not try this at home, especially if you don't have heavy gloves on. Luckily I did because a turkey's spurs are sharp. So that's how I killed my first turkey. A 24 pounder, with an 11" beard and 1 1/2 spurs.
    Last edited by Preacher; 02-24-2006 at 03:07 AM.
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

That is great story! I have not hunted turkey yet. I will be trying that this next spring. My boss has 300 acres with lots of turkeys and he is going to take me along to learn. I cant wait. So, all I have to do is stun the turkey and then jump on his back? Sounds like fun. I think I will try it that way first.LMAO! Maybe take an AK with me? Nah, shotgun will work fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If you try it my way, you'd better be ready for a real thrashing!!!!! Turkey hunting is probably my favorite sport. Have fun, cause it's a blast.

BTW What kind of birds do you have down there? We have Easterns in this part.
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

a wounded goose has been known to thrash a man about half to death also. Them wild critters can get nasty.
    Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Feedback Score

I was never "allowed" to go turkey hunting with my ex--he thought I would talk too much and couldn't be still enuff. I did go deer hunting on occassion. I wanted to do the turkey calling thingamabob

funny story Preacher--I bet that turkey was like riding a bronco--lol giddie up

Gunco Slightly Irregular cammobunker's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I knew a fellow once who was hunting rabbits with a small caliber muzzleloader, sees one in the open field. shoots, it doesn't move. Reloads. Shoots again, doesn't move. Reloads again. Shoots a third time, still nothing. Walks up on it.
    It's a bunny-shaped rock with three nice fresh lead smears on it. I don't think he's ever heard the end of that.
    "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"
    -Ash, Army of Darkness
    "There are two kinds of people in this world, Tuco.
    Those with loaded guns,
    and those who dig. You dig."
    -Blondie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Feedback Score

Thats funny as hell Preacher.

Hand to hand combat with a turkey......There's a Kodak moment for sure.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cammobunker
    It's a bunny-shaped rock with three nice fresh lead smears on it. I don't think he's ever heard the end of that.
    I'm guessing that the skinning didn't go too well

Feedback Score

My funniest hunting story is a mental-health story: Got called in to hospitalize a fellow who'd gotten picked up trying to kill himself by running around in the woods on opening day of deer season holding a rack of antlers over his head.
    Extraordinary Commission for the Struggle Against Counterrevolution, Espionage, Speculation, and Sabotage

Feedback Score

When I was a kid in Texas, the way we would hunt rabbits is, we would hide behind a rock and then make a noise like a carrot, when they came to get it we'd grab em.
    With friends, this is a cool world; without friends, it would be unbearably cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.