Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mole Removal/garden pests

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    Seriously now this is how my grand father did it for years, he took a old lawn mower and attached a flex pipe to the exhaust and stuck the pipe down the hole and let it run. it can be rough on the exhaust valves but it works. He might have added a little something to the gas once or twice cant remember.
    Out of high school I worked at a golf course-we'd put a hose over the end of a Cushman cart and pull up the choke. On a summer morning you could see blue smoke drifting up from the tunnels-worked every time. Maybe need to go out west and do it to the smugglers tunnels across the border!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

You just need a good dermatologist.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Gopher Cong..

"Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Rodenator

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Mole are territorial, which means when you remove one mole from it's system of tunnels, another will eventually take over. Mole come together in the matting season, when the males travel above and below ground to find a mate.

There are no permanent methods to remove moles; Moles will travel anywhere to find their prey which is earth worms and if you have good soil, it is likely you will end up with moles.

Chemical methods of control such as gas, will leave the soil sterile.
    The best method is trapping using the Duffus trap or tunnel trap but you need to buy good ones. Here in the UK the very best are made by Flat pack.

If anyone needs advice with moles, feel free to PM or Email. I'm a professional pest controller here in the UK and catch moles all the time as part of my job.

John

Feedback Score

Flood the Moles Out
    Find an active mole tunnel with fresh dirt around its opening. Place a garden hose in the hole, and turn on the water. Run the water until you see a mole surface or until the tunnel is completely flooded.

Use a Repellent
    Purchase a commercial mole repellent from a hardware store. Place some of the repellent in the entrance of an active mole tunnel. Uncover a section of the tunnel, place more repellent in the tunnel, and cover the tunnel back up with dirt.

Trap the Moles
    Uncover part of an active mole tunnel and place the trap in the center of the tunnel so the mole will have to pass through it. Set the trap and cover the tunnel with dirt. Check the trap every morning.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Trap the Moles
    Uncover part of an active mole tunnel and place the trap in the center of the tunnel so the mole will have to pass through it. Set the trap and cover the tunnel with dirt. Check the trap every morning.
    Hi Adam, just a quick tip. Mole traps are a little like Rabbit snares in as much as the more you put down the more chance you have of catching the mole. Generally in a domestic garden I will place half a dozen or more and our gardens are MUCH smaller than your typical US garden. Moles are solitary (apart from the mating season, which is spring time over here), during the solitary times you might catch on mole every few weeks, during mating season one or more moles every day or so. Moles are insectivores, so the only sure fire way to get rid of the moles is to get rid of the insects, there is only one sure fire way to do that but it involves a whole load of sand, chippings and cement. The reason flooding the tunnels seems to work is that earth worms (the primary food source of the mole) will move away from the water logged soil and thus the moles will move as well. Repellents are like snake oil, mole tunnels can be as deep as several foot the bottom line is that these repellents can not circulate around the moles tunnel system. There is an old saying, if someone has a problem, someone else will be only too happy to invent a solution. Gassing will work but not because it kills the moles, more because it leave the soil sterile killing all the food sources, the mole unless trapped in the tunnel system will simply flee up on smelling the gas.

John

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I rather like the "Rodinator", just me, I always did like blowing shit up though!!!! In Nam I always volnteered to blow shit up, liked to see how high I could make something fly, musta got 35meters with a jeep one time!!! HEEEEE! HAAAAAWW! Wonder what ya could get with a gopher 75-80????

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

not moles,but this takes care of rats.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

May sound stupid but spearmint gum has worked for me. Touch only the wrapper and drop it down the hole. No poisons no shooting. Sounds boring but give it a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.