Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mole Removal/garden pests

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Mole Removal/garden pests

Every year, I encounter the "mole" problem in my backyard. Most seem to import themselves in from neighbors yards.
    I have experimented over the years with many various methods of killing these pests.
    here's what I've found.

Chemicals/poisons: HIGHLY EFFECTIVE/VERY DEADLY. but with cost. household pets, birds and neighbors animals AND CHILDREN will also die if they consume this poison. very toxic. Most dogs/cats are so sensitive to lawn fertilizers alone, that just getting these on their paws can kill them!
    Sonic deterrents: NOT EFFECTIVE. A waste of time and money. They did not work at all for me, if they did I could not tell. Think about it, you are just delaying the inevitable, once the batteries die, in march the moles.
    Mouse traps, peanut butter and lid: HIGHLY EFFECTIVE.This has been the MOST EFFECTIVE method to date(aside from our cat). find mole exit holes, plug up a few and then set a mouse trap with peanut butter on it at the very lip of the hole. Next, most importantly, take the cover of a small hibachi/coal grill and place it over the trap. Moles hate light and prefer to emerge in darkness.
    Own an outdoor cat: HIGHLY EFFECTIVE. During the summer, my mouse traps and cat compete for the most kills. Of course, the cat also nabs birds, mice, snakes and rabbits.
    Herbal/Natural deterrents: NOT EFFECTIVE. A waste of time, not to mention that this makes you feel like an asshole for trying.
    Victor Spear trap: NOT EFFECTIVE. A Medieval looking device that, in theory would work on large moles. Mine has been set off SEVERAL times with no kill.
    this device is spring loaded and when the mole tunnels under it, in theory, the spear is released and impales the little bastard. The reality is that for two years, I have always only had empty spear traps. Even when baited with peanut butter.
    Fireworks: NOT EFFECTIVE. Cherry bombs, stink bombs, M-80's, blackjacks, roman candles and the like are very entertaining to use, but ultimately a waste of time.
    Caddyshacking" or flooding:NOT EFFECTIVE. you'll need alot of water and alot of time to win with this type of assault. You'll probably kill whatever vegetation that you werer trying to save in the first place by drowning it!
    Live traps: NOT EFFECTIVE. Your "mole problem" must not bother you that much if you are considering this avenue. This is the WORST way to rid yourself of this infestation. Why bother? what do you plan on doing with them AFTER you catch them? remember, a single mole can burrow up to 100 yards in a single night."They'll be back!"
    take off the gloves and stop being gay.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Caddyshacking" or flooding:NOT EFFECTIVE. you'll need alot of water and alot of time to win with this type of assault. You'll probably kill whatever vegetation that you werer trying to save in the first place by drowning it!

I thought "Caddyshacking" meant little forest creatures made from C-4, not flooding????? Once the Varmint Cong have a tunnel system dug it's hard to dislodge them. Luckily my neighbor owns a dog who hates the VC as much as anybody, he'll tear the hell out of the yard to get to them but they are gone pretty quick.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If you can get them to stand up at 400 yards this will work, killed about 500 praire dogs with it last week. LOL a couple at 600 yards but that took a few shots

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Seriously now this is how my grand father did it for years, he took a old lawn mower and attached a flex pipe to the exhaust and stuck the pipe down the hole and let it run. it can be rough on the exhaust valves but it works. He might have added a little something to the gas once or twice cant remember.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WOAH, the lawn mower trick is something that I had not thought of..could be dangerous....WOOHOO!!!!

Feedback Score

My grandpa would setup his lawn chair with a vernors and his .357. He got quite a few that way.

Feedback Score

We recently bought some property, and have inherited a gopher or mole (I don't know what the heck it is) along with it. The dad gum thing is digging up what little yard we have and I know I'll never get started on growing grass as long as this pest lives. So...what's the best way to get rid of the thing? I've already tried some poison pellets, which caused it to stop making its little mounds for about 2 weeks, but it seems it was only on vacation. It's back at work now, with a vengeance. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

I can send you one of my cats.
    She sits for hours staring at a spot on the lawn.
    Soon as the poor mole moves, she digs like hell and crushes it head.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

Another way is to use a pelleted (i think) insecticide on your yard that kills grub worms in the soil. Thats what the moles eat, so you kill the grubs, the mole leaves for grubbier pastures, and no new moles move into the existing tunnels.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The grub killer is the way to go. If you don't have much grass area to treat, milky spore works great and last a few years although it is expensive. My area has quite the mole problem as well. We treated with grub killer, but it did not stop the lil devils from comming in the yard to check. So, out came the mole trap. I caught 9 moles with it and got lucky with 2 or three voles this year. Within the last week I noticed a new one has come in from the field in back. If you have alot of clay in your soil just stick a garden hose in the tunnel and let it run until water is comming out from the thin spots. We have sandy soil at our new house so the hose trick doesn't work here. If they're deeper than the spike trap can get them I use a pest smoke bomb. Works the same as mower exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.