Just wondering who hunts with Blackpowder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering who hunts with Blackpowder

Feedback Score

Default Just wondering who hunts with Blackpowder

I do, of course not an "inline" but with a traditional style. What do you guys use?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."
    -Benjamin Franklin

"If the Good Lord wanted me to use percussion caps I reckon the river beds would be full of 'em for the takin"
    Old flintlock shooter I met at the range.

In this day and age it is easier to stay stupid than it is to stay ignorant. I have had the misfortune to have encountered many informed idiots

Feedback Score

Hmmm, well not this year (yet) Doctor won't let me go out in the woods for a while yet.

But I'm looking at a rack with;

1.) Pedersoli .32 Kentucky style Flintlock, 32" bbl.,(fantastic squirrel gun.) strictly round ball.

2.) Uberti Hawkin, copied exactly from a Hawkin taken from the Museum in St. Louis, 1:66 twist, 30 in. bbl, marked .54 but I had to have a .526 mold made. Uberti copied it from an unfired original. Very accurate!

3.) the best shooting 1:23, .50 slug only Hawkin, basically Navy Arms, but I built it up with a bunch of left over parts I got for 10 bucks, the most accurate slug shooter I or anyone else that's ever shot it has ever seen, must be luck because I sure didn't quite know what I was doing when I built it.

4.) In case any Buffalo or Rhino's get loose from the local Zoo, a Traditions 1853 3 band Enfield that works best with a really overweight Whitworth .576 Minie ball and 60 grains of 2f.
    Not the most accurate at all, but tied for favorite with the .32. An incredible thumper.

Started hunting with BP about 1973 or so, with a .45 TC Hawkin, sorry I ever sold it.

Soon to come, hopefully this year, is a 12 gauge double, a good quality Zouave, and a Brown Bess. Later on I want a Charleville, and a good quality Northwest Trade Gun. (prox. 20 gauge, smoothbore).

Then I plan to spend the next 66 years Hunting,
    Fishing and maybe drinking a few beers.

Guys that use in-lines probably use compound bows too!

All hunting is great, but BP hunting is the best of the best.

Well, IMHO anyhow!
    SEMPER FI

We stole the eagle from the Air Force
    The anchor from the Navy
    The rope from the Army
    And on the seventh day when God was resting
    We overran his perimeter and stole the globe
    And we have been guarding it ever since!

Feedback Score

I have an inline .50 traditions I use. I also have a .45 cal wheel gun that a rem replica with a brass frame. .

I like to shoot patched round balls and loose powder for plinking and fun. When I'm huntin Bambi's great grandpa I use pryodox pellets and powerbelt bullets.

Speaking of Bows, I made my own recurve in shop in Jr. High.

Hunted Deer with it and have never shot a compund bow yet.

I do wish Utah would go to two muzzleloader hunts.
    One for inlines and such in sept like we have now.

And another one in early november for blackpowder only with the sidelock etc only. Like it used to be, before the change to sept.
    "Teds of Beverly Hills" Home of the "Foil wrapped baked potato"

(\__/)
    ///\\\\
    |+...+|
    .\.|.|./
    ..(oo)

Feedback Score

Well, mybe in-lines are okay.

Cowdawg's one of the good guys, so it must be okay, else he wouldn't do it!.

But he's missing a lot of fun.

Stalk for an hour and a half, get ready to shoot and find out the cap fell off the nipple somewhere along the way. Or, when the piece goes click instesd of BOOM, that maybe it's raining harder than you thought, and perhaps you really should have taken the extra minute in camp to drip a little candle wax around the cap to waterproof it.

But even with an in-line you still get to load in a hurry and shoot your ramrod at the critter. And you always get to be rushed and distractrd enough to realize you seated the ball and NOW your pouring powder down the bore.

Yup, must be okay!
    SEMPER FI

We stole the eagle from the Air Force
    The anchor from the Navy
    The rope from the Army
    And on the seventh day when God was resting
    We overran his perimeter and stole the globe
    And we have been guarding it ever since!

Feedback Score

Waaay back in the old days I first shot a blackpowder that belonged to my nephew (we are the same age and more like brothers) at some willows down on Kanab creek outside of kanab utah. i shot, heard the tree start to crack and fall, and then after the smoke cleared I saw the tree.

i really like the challange of the stalk and I have passed up more deer than I have takin.

I hunt to get meat, get out in the open with friends and family and to carry on tradition.

(\__/)
    ///\\\\
    |+...+|
    .\.|.|./
    ..(oo)

Feedback Score

and thanks 5KNIVES

your welcome at my campfire anytime.

(\__/)
    ///\\\\
    |+...+|
    .\.|.|./
    ..(oo)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

i got a nice Omega laminated/stainless for this year.

it's the special edition with brown laminate wood, rather than the "gray". I dunno, the gray just didn't do it for me. but this one does.

between that and my Yugo m48 i should be able to drop some meat in the freezer.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

A .45 Thompson Hawkins = more deer killed than any other single weapon I own.

A great rifle.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

No Rest For The Wicked wickedmedic's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I have two inlines. A Remington 700, 50 cal and a cheap CVA 45 cal. The remington is a nice accurate gun, but the damn thing shoots straight through them! I have tried different sabbots, all do the same thing. The deer doesn't run far, it does a lot of damage on the way through, but no blood trail. So you have to watch them to see where they go after you shoot. Now the 45 cal is a different story, you pull the trigger and they don't run, go down right there. Anyone have any suggestions on the 50 cal? I want to stay with sabbots.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

less powder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.