Gunco Forums banner

DOG HUNTING

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  leeroy 
#1 ·
WENT PRAIRIE DOG HUNTING BUT COULD NOT FIND ANY. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hah!

Almost too cold here in SD for 'dogs! Though today was outstanding at 75 degrees and sunny. Looks like you might have found one or two ;)

#3 ·
those pics were taken yesterday. it was ok weather wise warm in the sun . shot dogs out to 550 yards burnt up around 600 rounds. I litteraly had them crawling up to my mat. I was shooting 5 inches over there heads two feet intftront of the gun and they just sat there LOL. I think there deaf.

Attachments

#4 ·
Hit You Claymore

My God there in the wire... :rofl:
Wow.. That is some cool long range shooting A.O.. I could not shoot the poor little critters. :bawling:
But wow I would love to have a place like that for long range shooting.
Great pict. through the scope. :thumbup1:

#6 ·
I could not shoot the poor little critters
THE TRUTH IS IF IT WASENT FOR THE HUNTERS THEY WOULD NOT EVEN BE THERE SO IN A WAY IM SAVING MOST OF THERE LIVES. THEY ARE ABOUT THE ONLY ANIMAL I HUNT THAT I DONT EAT. THEY CAN ALSO CONTRACT MONKEY POX ALTHOUGH NO CASES IN THE WILD HAVE BEEN DOCUMENTED YET. THEY DO GET THE PLAUGE REGULARLY. THEY USED TO PAY A BOUNTY FOR THE TAILS BUT DUE TO HEALT ISSUES YOU ARE NOT SUSPOSED TO HANDEL THEM AND I HAVE BEEN ADVISED AGAINST LAYING ON THE MOUNDS WERE FLEAS FROM THEM COULD BE. THERE NASTY I WISH I HAD GOTTEN PICS OF THE RATTLE SNAKE THAT WAS COMING OUT OF ONE OF THOSE HOLES.
AND THE WILL EAT THERE OWN DEAD IM TOLD. THEY MAY LOOK CUTE BUT SO DOES A MOUSE OR A RAT AT TIMES. THERE A NASTY CREATURE. THE OTHER THING THAT DOESENT GET MENTIOND IS THAT IF WE DIDNT HUNT THEM THE INDIANS WOULD NOT GET THE INCOME THEY DESPERATLY NEED AND THAT THEY WOULD POISEN EVERY SINGLE ONE. AS WILL ALL THE OTHER NON INDIAN RANCHERS. WE LOST A TOWN TWO YEARS AGO DUE TO THE RANCHER LOSING TO MUCH LAND FOR GRAZING. ITS SAD BUT NESSACRY TO CONTROL THE POPULATION.

THERE ARE NOT MANY CASES OF PLAUGE GETTING TO HUMANS DUR TO THE NUMBERS BEING HELD DOWN AND LITTLE HUMAN CONTACT. SO IN A WAY I AM SAVING THE WORLD FROM THE PLAUGE :thumbup1:

ID RATHER SEE A FEW (OK ABOUT 400 I SHOT ) THAN THE WHOLE ENTIRE TOWN WIPED OUT KILLING LITERALY TENS OF THOUSANDS. THE OTHER TOWN WE SHOT OVER WAS THAT I DIDNT GET PICTURES OF IS LITERALY 2000 YARDS OR MORE SQUARE. IF THERE WAS NO REASON FOR THE RANCHER TO HAVE THEM THERE HE WOULD POISEN THEM IN A HEART BEAT. THOSE HORSES AND COWS ARE WORTH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. THE P DOGS EAT A CERTAIN TYPE OF GRASS THAT RUINS THE GRAZING THAT ONE TOWN FROM THE LOOKS OF IT IS LIKELY SEVERL HUNDRED ACRES IS BARREN. tHE LAND IN THESE PICTURES THE TRIBE ACTUALY PAYS THE RANCHER NOT TO POISEN THEM SO HUNTERS WILL HAVE A PLACE TO HUNT. THE LISCENSE WAS $160 AND WE PAYED THE LAND OWNER $50 PER DAY. THE OTHER PLACE WE RAN ATVS EVERY ALL DAY IT WAS WORTH THE MONEY JUST TO GO RIDING IMOO

THE COWS IN THIS PIC HAD TO BE MOVED BY THE RANCHER FOR US TO SHOOT. HIS COMENTS WERE KILL AS MANY AS YOU CAN IF THE TOWN DOSENT GET SMALLER THIS YEAR HES GOING TO POISEN IT THIS FALL.
THE LAND HERE WAS WELL POPULATED BUT THERE WERENT SO MANY THAT THE GRASS AHD BEEN WIPED OUT YET.

IM GOING TO TRY TO SELL THE ONE PICTURE TO CABELAS ITS MY FAVORITE. ITS ABOUT 800 YARDS TO THE TOP OF THAT HILL BTW. WE GOT KILLS OUT TO 550 YARDS.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS IM NOT YELLING JUST FORGOT TO TURN THEM OFF. :)

Attachments

#8 ·
HEY THANKS.

I forgot to mention that I was able to make a few 200+ yard shots with my AMD 65 pistol in 7.62x39 loaded with 123 grain Hornady V MAX .310 bullets. Im not sure any one has ever shot praire dogs with a AK pistol. I might be the first at least at that range. it wasnt really any fun as I could not see the impact. I ended up installing a loaded drum to add some weight and that helped a lot . The look on the ranchers face when he saw me shooting a AK pistol with a 75 round drum at them things. He took a couple shots with it and liked it asked about having one. I came close at around 300 yards but could not confirm a kill as I could not see the hits and they likely fell in the hole. At 200 yards and under, a heavy barreld rifle in 7.62x39 would be usable with some weight and a muzzel break shooting vmax or possably some of those frangable varmit bullets would be a lot of fun. Not ideal but doable. I tried some sabots a few years ago but the accuracy wasent there. i was thinking a 220 russian might not be to bad and the original mags might work.

my buddy had a brand new Volqortson 17 HMR auto loader the gun was around $1600 plus a Ziess scope at around $800. expensive but that thing was the S#!t out to over 200 yards when the wind was not blowing.

there is a 260 or fast twist 22-250 converted 308 sagia for that 800 yard shot I didnt get in the works.

#9 ·
Now I understand

[video=youtube;eu98eN5p-ng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu98eN5p-ng&NR=1]YouTube - gopher dance[/video]

Kill them. Bill Murray would help yah.. :rofl:
800 yards. Damn.
S.J. how the heck did you fix that picture. Wow. Cool.. :thumbup1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.