Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wild Boar hunting in Florida

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Wild Boar hunting in Florida

going on my first hunting trip next week with my two sons. We are using a guide service and we are hoping to get some wild boars. I'm still contemplating what to shoot? Considering a Mosin M39, a Swiss K31 or a Saiga 12 guage. Any should get the job done. What do you think?

Any suggestions on recipes? Will probably have a barbeque for some of it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

are you using the Sagia with slugs? Are these being hunted with dogs or how are you hunting them??

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Sounds like fun.

Where down here are you hunting?
    Take your time and pick out a nice one.
    Florida is a good place to hunt them. We are loaded with them down here.
    Be careful if your heading into the swamps to hunt. As they are breeding with domestic pigs and getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
    There at the point where you can shoot them on private land down here.
    I fish the back waters off the Saint Johns river and see them all the time.
    It is smart to get a guide. When I am alone is when I see them crossing the roads in the Ocala National Forest.
    Bring someone out too see them and I wont see a one.
    My buddy shoots them all the time on his private land.
    Weapon- I would guess just about any high powered rifle would take them down. If your hunting with dogs the guide might get a little pissed if he has to pick buckshot out of his pooch. Things happen fast when those pit bulls they use are fighting the hog.
    If I was hunting in the swamps I would want a shorter barreled weapon for maneuverability.
    Open terrain, any weapon you mentioned would do the trick.
    But call the guide and he could best advise you.
    Recipe- Save the head and give the meat too the dogs. Just kidding.
    I do not have a recipe, but the guys down here are cooking them all the time.
    Some good meat if marinated and cooked properly.
    Have fun, be careful and take pictures.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I figured 4th would make some joke about hogging!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

If I use the saiga it would be with slugs. Guide recommends shotgun/slugs. They do use dogs to drive them in. I will be hunting by lake okeechobee - north end.

Thanks for all the info.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If I use the saiga it would be with slugs. Guide recommends shotgun/slugs. They do use dogs to drive them in. I will be hunting by lake okeechobee - north end.

Thanks for all the info.
    Id use the sagia with slugs out to 100 yards If it will maintain a group. make ure the choke your gun uses is compatable. most Sagias have horrable triggers so make sure your profeciant with it. id recomed a red dot sight ad well.

If I was hunting in the swamps I would want a shorter barreled weapon for maneuverability
    good advice. I have hunted wild pigs in northern California with dogs things happen fast when you get in close. I have had the pig run the dogs back right between my legs and dam near knock me over. a second shot dont hurt as well. I relize you are not hunting with dogs so things will be differant. Ive killed them with every thing from a buck knife, 22lr, 22 mag, 357, on up to a 30-06. it all depends if there far a way or have 4 -5 dogs streaching them out ond not letting them go.

definatly shoot the gun with slugs and make sure it will work out ok. Do yiu have a regular AK?? guys used to use them as saddle guns untill california had all the assult weapon laws and bS. dad used to use a M1 carbine for up close with dogs. California would not allow rimfires on a big game animal even if you were just putting them down after the dogs got them caught. so every one switched to 357,s or small rifles. used to see a fair amount of ruger mini 30,s on them.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Alan, be a man and just use a "big" knife. Drop down on them from a tree and slit their throats

Only wimps use a gun!!!

Yes, I'm only kidding. These things can be "BAD ASS", just make sure that you kill them "before" they get close to you!!!
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking Oh God No.. LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Toten Kopf View Post
    Alan, be a man and just use a "big" knife. Drop down on them from a tree and slit their throats

Only wimps use a gun!!!

Yes, I'm only kidding. These things can be "BAD ASS", just make sure that you kill them "before" they get close to you!!!
    No kidding. These damn hogs down here are getting as big as a house.
    Yes do a "Tarzan" and drop from a tree like a man ride the boar screaming AHHHHHHHHHa.
    The guide will crank up the boat and leave you there.
    Very very good hunting A.O. your heading into..
    Some idiot let a few Boa Constrictors go in the Everglades. Do not know if they have headed as far north as Okeechobee yet.
    Now the damn things are breeding like rabbits and are getting huge.
    But really not joking. Wear snake boots. Keep life jackets on the kids.
    My buddy was just here shoots a couple a month.
    He uses a .35 cal.. But he said even a .30/.30 is sufficient.
    He said excellent meat, but cook it very slow.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Toten Kopf View Post

Only wimps use a gun!!!

LOL - Chris was considering using a boar spear. He has now dropped that idea.

I agree... I'll make sure it's dead before getting close to it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hey 4th I hope we don't see any snakes!!! We'll keep an eye out for them. I have heard the area we are going is good hunting.

BTW - my kids are 22 and 27 so they need to take care of dad....LOL

We hope to grill some one evening before heading home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.