Thread: Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 BDC200 scope

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 BDC200 scope

Having recently moved to Michigan in a shotgun/muzzle loader zone I thought I'd try sabot slugs again after a 20 year break. A few years ago following back surgery I had bought a rifled cantilever barrel for my 1187 so I could hunt locally again in Illinois and at the time ended up putting a red dot sight on it and using foster style slugs. Since I hope I will be slug hunting more frequently since it's close I wanted a regular scope on the slug gun. After talking with a buddy of mine thats slug hunted since we were kids I got a Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 with their BDC reticle. The reticle has cross hairs for 50yds, followed by circles for 100yds, and 150yds, followed by a 200yd where the thin cross hair gets thicker. The scope also has 5" of eye relief. That comes at a slight price as your field of view is also narrowed, but not as bad as other scopes I've used over the years.
    For slugs I had tried the high velocity sabot slugs 1900-2000fps when I got the cantilever barrel but wasn't getting very good groups. Several people I've spoken to have said they had problems with the group size also. The 200yd claim was interesting as back in the 80's and early 90's when I hunted with foster style slugs you were pushing 120yds for accuracy even with a rifled barrel and the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope.
    I finally got to shoot the gun last night with the Nikon scope using winchester 3" sabot slugs at 1400fps listed velocity. It was far from rifle accuracy but the shots were touching out to 75 yards and about 3"groups at 100yds. The surprising thing was even with the slow slugs (compared to the 2000fps ones) the BDC was right on out to 150yds (where I was getting around 4-5" groups) which is the farthest target setting at that gun range. Since it was night and the targets weren't lit as well as they should of I wouldn't be surprized if the group size shrinks if I can shoot it in the daylight. The 100 and 150 yard targets were a little vague since the orange cross hair targets sort of washed out from the flashlight and I was having a hard time telling exactally where they were.
    Overall though I was impressed with the combination and hope it works well next week. Does anyone else have this scope, and if so what slugs are you using?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I quit shooting slugs about 1991 after marrying that woman with two kids.
    I was to involved in going after her american dream working six or seven 10hour days
    to pay the bills.Got rid of the wife,but still have my Mec600jr,ACTIV hulls
    and wads,and my LYMAN Foster & Sabot slug moulds.My Mossy 500 has two
    24" barrels.One smooth,one rifled.My kids have been buging me about letting them try the 12ga.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Railbuggy, I also have a sabot slug mold (lee) and had played around with them a couple years ago. I had trouble with the wads sticking to the back of the slugs with various non winchester #WAA12 wad knock offs. When the wads didn't stick and shed easily they were accurate. When they didn't you were better off with a smooth bore and foster slugs. I finally got a bag of Win #WAA12 wads to try but haven't had time to test them out, and as I'm pressed for time I doubt I will this season. At around $12 a box of 5 for factory sabot slugs the Lee versions are very atractive looking.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I have a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 4th edition dated
    1998 so I guess I was still into 12ga slug shooting then.Can't find my older
    book,the Lyman 3rd edition.That is where my notes would be.From what I
    remember I was using red dot and unique powder,I was removing the petals
    from WAA12 or windjammer wads,and used a fold crimp.Mine moved at about
    1300 fps using 2.75"cases.I may have to take one apart if I can't find my notes.I got my first PC in 1998 and I remember someone sharing there data with me.
    I'll look around somemore tomorrow.I know where my lyman moulds are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 BDC200 scope-719.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That sticking is why I put a 20 gauge card beneath the slug. Read that on the castboolits forum. Helps keep the wad from being pushed into the slug cavity. Have also used hot glue to the same effect but takes longer to do and is messier when you are doing a bunch at once like target shooting with the Saiga!!!

Recall the Lee is designed for a smoothbore rifle. Now the rifled barrel shooters seem to like the Lyman slug and use loads directly out of the Lyman manual. I am really liking the Hodgdon online data for their slug loads.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Interesting, the Lee instrucions I got with my mold talk about how the bar that runs across the rear hollow cavity is there to lock into the wad and help turn the slug as the wad is turned by the rifled barrel. I tried putting either a 16ga or 20ga card under the slug and it did keep the wads from sticking, but it wasn't as accurate as when the wads fell away normally. If the Lyman sabot slug mold is better I'm always up for buying a new bullet mold. What I really need to do is remember which box my shotshell/slug stuff is in and dig it back out to try the winchester wads I bought. I went through 3 bags of wads trying it out a couple years ago. None were the Winchester brand and I noticed some were softer than others. The first bag of wads was an old no longer produced WAA12 knockoff and seemed to do the best. They were also the hardest of the three bags of wads.

After I wrote this I dug through some boxes and found the wads and the slug mold. It looks like for 2-3/4" shells I was using win AA hulls ,WAA12 knock off wads, Accurate #5 38.5gr with the 1oz slug which is listed at 1494 fps. I had also tried remington hulls and 49.0 gr bluedot which is listed at 1673 fps. If I'm getting good groups at 1400fps with the win sabot slugs that seem to match the bdc on the scope (only a little high at 100 and 150 yds) I should be fairly close with the fatter lee slug. Hummm? If I can only find the boxs with the press, cast slugs and powder I can get back in business. I'll also have to make 20ga card cutter as I'm out of those but have plenty of cardboard.
    Last edited by moleman; 11-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.