Gunco Forums banner

Hunting Why??

7K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Florida Marine 
#1 ·
Who hunts for what and why...?? I'll go first..

I mostly hunt Birds because it is easier as far as gear goes and mostly cheaper than Big game..and there is a lot of shooting which I like.. Geese is my favorite hands down, followed by Pheasant and quail.. but Turkey is the best eating in my book.. B2B

#2 ·
Both "big game" and birds cost about the same for me here in South Dakota. I dunno, sitting waiting for a buck plus the occasional stalk is a lot less exercise than tramping through field after field for pheasant. Geese and turkey hunting is more like whitetails - not much moving around. The cost per pound of eating venison is less than pheasant, geese or turkey. Fishing is good, too.

I like'm all, but I really enjoy my venison and pheasant :)

#3 ·
I hunt duck in the winter in northern california because my family owns a ton of land up there and because ive been doing it all my life, and duck and geese are damned delicious. Used to hunt with my dad for elk and deer when i was younger, to fill up the freezer, and go to the coast for fish and crab, clams and the like. Good times, good food!

#4 ·
My favorite hunting has always been dove. They just seem to be a lot less plentiful here than in years past. Used to go through a box of shells in no time. Rabbit numbers are way up right now though. Lots of good shooting if you've got some good dogs. Rabbits always been some of my favorite wild game to eat too.

#5 ·
Fresh game doesn't have all the growth hormones and antibiotics found in farm raised animals. I also prefer grass-fed beef and bison. There's a lot of fish and game where I live and now that I'mworking in North Dakota I might consider slaying some pheasant for sport.

#7 ·
I can't stand grass fed hogs or steer. I prefer mine corn feed. I think it has alot more flavor. Not so much muscle either from walking around. I prefer penned up animals.

I get my meat from my buddy. No growth hormones in those. You can't touch the flavor even with high priced meats at the best butcher.

The only thing I hunt is pheasant. The only wild game that I like the taste of. Not a big fan of venison.

#8 ·
Squirrel and turkey are my all time favorite animals to hunt. I also go after dove, deer, and birds when I can. Coyotes have decimated the rabbits and quail here in Indiana. I love to hunt because I love to eat what I kill. Surprisingly, the only thing I really don't like to eat are pheasant, but they are a blast to hunt.

#9 ·
Mainly deer, geese (cause if I'm going to pluck it I want some meat to it), and coyotes because they ate all the rabbits I used to hunt (haven't seen but one rabbit in the last 20 years of hunting since the coyotes moved in) and squirrel (mmmm bbq squirrel). I love turkey hunting but can't get over how expensive it is compared to a store bought one.

#11 ·
September 1,Opening day of the fast moving Dove. Just love Dove hunting. Wish it was not so hot. Next, Quail, fun to hunt, good to eat. I like to call in Turkey, but I will not
shoot them. At one time, hunting Ducks was lots of fun. It's two cold for me nowadays.
Went Rattlesnake hunting. I't will make your heart beat very fast.
Sad thing is, It just cost to much money to hunt nowadays.
It's more dangerous to shop in a store, but It's much cheaper.

#12 ·
i LIKE PRAIRE DOGS BECAUSE THEY EXPLODE WHEN YOU HIT THEM AND BLOW INTO BITS AND DO CART WHEELS. AND YOU DONT HAVE TO CLEAN THEM. THEY DONT RELIZE IM DOING THEM A FAVOR BUT I AM. WITH OUT ME THE RANCHERS WOULD POISEN EVERY SINGLE ONE SO IN REALITY IM SAVING THERE LIVES. IM SORT OF LIKE A GOD TO THEM LOL FILTHY VERMIN

EVERY THING ELSE i HUNT I EAT. DEER, MOST BIRDS, WILD PIG, I WAS RAISED ON VENISON AND QUAIL WITH WILD PORK AND PHESANT EVERY NOW AND THEN.

#14 ·
If there is a season for it I hunt it. Deer, turkey, goose ,duck and varmits are my favorite hunts. I used to like pig and dove when I was in the South. Had to cut back on the geese and ducks now though, the heaveyer kickers really set my neck and shoulder on fire sense my fall. Plus hauling all the goose and duck parifinalia around tears me up too. I really like wild game and the comradare that go's along with a hunt. Fun to get a pat on the back for a clean 500+yard shot and the razing when ya miss!!! It's all good in my book!!!

#15 ·
I hunt to get away from my wife!!!! Just kidding, I have been hunting all my life. Deer and turkey mostly. Like I tell my wife all the time, I love being out there in the woods when it starts waking up. There just is somthing about seeing the sun come up on those really cold morning. It gives me time to think on my life and famliy. I really enjoy taking my kids out showing them a different side of hunting and guns, it's not just the kill that is exciting. I always see alot of other wild life when I'm out and about and that can be exciting too. Have any of you guys seen deer play with turkey before? I'm sure you have seen bucks fighting, how many people can say that.

#18 ·
I love when everything is still and the cold mists are starting to rise. The hard edge of sunrise melting the frost off the leaves. The first deer of the season stepping into the firing lane. My kid beside me shaking with excitement. Yup something to be said for hunting.

#19 ·
+1 VZ58, I took my 8 year old out sunday night bow hunting. He's not old enough to bow hunt himself yet, but he likes to go. Set up a treestand to the left of mine and just offset enough we didn't bump our elbows too much. About a half hour to sunset a little 8pt worked his way to about 10yds right in front of a mesmerized kid who was not fidgetting for the first time we climbed the tree.

Attachments

#22 ·
Bambi bit the big one.We have a doe cull in progress. Doe only w/ modern gun till the regular season starts in certain zones.We are covered up with nanny deer down here.Took this one yesterday with a .338 win mag.Too much gun? Rem Core-lock didnt even mushroom at 75yds.

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Store bought beef just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I hunt deer for the meat. One animal lasts me one year. I shot a nice doe on my property, just off my driveway. This year i chose not to spoil any meat and @60 yards, i went for a neck shot. Hit at point of aim and deer dropped where it stood. Sure beats packing them out for miles. A lot of peoples use an SKS up here for deer. As there are black bears around (up to 700 lbs) when out and about I'm usually carrying a Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine. So far this year I have seen countless deer, 6 black bears and a few wolves in the distance. The wolves are very cool, I wouldn't shoot one unless it had a cat in its mouth. I have watched them send out a bitch in heat just to lure dogs into the bush for a group kill. They are very timid near peoples and one morning, one was staring at us sipping coffee through the window. More critters than peoples out here in the bush , gotta like that.
bobsonofbob

#25 ·
I hunt cause that's what we ate when growing up. Like chasing big game the most, elk, deer and bear. I do go after turkey and upland birds also. My favorite weapon is a compound bow but use rifle, shotgun and muzzleloader. I can't get enough of being in the Rockies late September chasing bugling bulls with the bow. They'll fill the freezer real fast. :cool:

#26 ·
NICE RF guy way bigger than the 120lb deer I took today, nice shot too!! GOT TO LOVE a full freezer, screw the quickie mart. Thank You Lord for your bounty. Next, Muzzle loader season.Wish I could hunt as much as I used to but sense the fall It seems to get tougher every year, wakling is really tough now days and I'm done with bow now, can't even pull the Mathews I saved for forever for, never even been shot, no biggie, my best bud loves it,I gave it to him 2 years ago when I relized there's no hope of ever bow hunting again. And good karma came through, he's 2 for 2 with it.

#27 ·
Squirrel and crow for practice/ skill honing. Coyote because i can, deer and rabbit for meat. Like to dove hunt but work opposite schedule from my hunting buddies. Never been turkey hunting but want to. As a kid boar hunted in Turkey though. Big and tough, meat was terrible.

Kid took last night. First deer. 300 blackout. 155 lbs.

#29 ·
So, sadly I don't hunt anymore. I live in Southern Kalifornia. Up until the early '90s, deer were plentiful, feral hogs still abound, quail, duck, and pheasant were good, but not any more.

These days, when I see a deer, I actually feel badly. Small, rangy, and in poor health. The issue is the poachers. I give you three guesses where they come from.....Our local Rangers tell me that they arrest up to 300 poachers a year. The poaching penalties are not too bad, but the weapons possession is murder!

Friends up in Montana and the Dakotas and Michigan have invited me to come along...I may take them up on that next season...

I really miss not having venison...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.