Gunco Forums banner

hunting Arizona

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  TheCol.U.S.M.C. 
#1 ·
I have been combing the Arizona game and fishing site and I cant find anything about whats legal for semi auto rfles like if you cant use SBR or not
If you can use FMJ or what. All I could find was you can use only 5 round mags.:wow:: I plan on hunting Javalina. I hope some one can answer these questions.:hatprop:

#2 ·
Can't help ya there with Az laws, but I wouldn't use FMJ's, soft points would be much better option for a humane killing shot, fmj's don't always garentee that, but shot placement is the key with any round, so they will work, but not my first choice for hunting. I doubt the sbr would be leagal for hunting though, or at the very least, prudent to use, it would kinda make you look like a "nut job" hunting with one. At least that would be my first impression if I saw someone hunting with one. Just me. We don't need anymore adverse impressions when it comes to our toys/sport or hunting in general. It would be like hunting with my VZ folder, yup it will drop a deer and shoots just fine, but it might leave a sour taste in some landowners mouth by me trucking around in there woods hunting with it!! And lets face it, it's getting harder and harder to find a place to hunt each year, we don't need to make it worse by running around the woods with stuff like that when there's much better options avalible!! Effectiveness and impression wise . But that's just my thoughts on it.

#5 ·
no fmjs allowed. but 5 rounds in mag only. must have block. don't know about sbr. they just signed a law doing away w/ mag limit on rifles and allowing silencers but i don't know when it takes effect.
Format Document
The Gov signed a bill ending the 5rnd mag hunting restriction Friday.

You could use a 100rnd drum for sheep.:ak47:

------------------------------------------
droog, there's a hunting forum on AZShooting.
A lot of good guys there to help.

ArizonaShooting.com • Index page

#4 ·
I've used a Romanian AK folder to take a whitetail buck, using soft-point ammo.

Why? Because Kerry had stated during his campaign that no one used or would use an AK to hunt. Other than the esthetics,

Comments were smiles and "are you sure that's enough round to take one?" but nothing about me being crazed or silly. We have a reputation of consistent, humane harvests and the landowners couldn't care less what we use as long we keep up the good hunt.

From a practical standpoint, I prefer more powerful loads but it wasn't all that much different than my first buck taken with a Marlin 30-30.

There is (or at least used to be) a member of the gunboards forums who is an Arctic native. He hunts a LOT of caribou using Mosins and milsurp ammo. He's stated that he has never had any trouble using FMJ ammo for clean kills. I can't remember a deer kill that didn't involve an in/out shot. Even with so-called soft-point expanding ammo, I've had many kills where the out hole was very close to the size of the in hole. This tells me the bullet wasn't "right" for the game but the loads were factory rounds with so-called "hunting-engineered" softpoints.

#6 ·
Here in Vt we've got so many flatlanders(city folks) moving in and posting every inch of hunting spots, even a "normal" hunting gun like a 30-30 gets them all tweeked. To many liberal sprout eaters around here now. I can't imagine that me being out there with my folder VZ would leave them with a very warm fuzzy feeling towards a hunter useing one. I'm sure in the mid west where there's lots of wide open spaces where it wouldn't be to much of an issue but around here it is. Hell even one of the local wardens I've known for years kinda gave me the evil eye when I was sighting in a couple military style guns, and he had a bunch of questions as to what I was up to. I guess I still am concerned a bit about the negitive preceptions a land owner may have , we don't need anymore hunting grounds posted. It's tough enough to find a place to hunt around here now as it is, to take any chances on leaving a negitive impression with a landowner. Hell some of these folks have never even seen a gun other than on TV and it seems to make them pretty nervious when they do, even if it's a single shot .410 for Christs sake. To them an AK or AR pattern gun = gangsta!!!! A folder AK, OMG!!!!!! , it would be a total freak out with the State Police boys being called in on ya. And I LOVE my Bushmaster for yotties. That's the way it is around here now days, unfortunatly. Hell at this point if I wanted to go to a public range I'd have to drive over 50 miles one way just to get in a days worth of range time, plus having to pay huge range fees and to have to buy there overpriced "cheap" ammo + join there clubs. How in the hell are you going to work up a hunting load that way??? To damn many houses sprouting up everywhere to shoot safely any more unless you have you're own range or tons of land, it sucks!!! I'm looking at a couple propertys boardering the National Forest so I don't have to play this game anymore, it's getting old, hunting for a hunting spot!! And with the physical limitations I have now, it's pretty damn hard to find a spot I can access to hunt anymore. Enjoy the spots you have now, they may soon be all gone, like there getting to be around here.

#8 ·
5 round mag restristion ended you can use a 30rnd mag if you want now, and suppressors are legal now too. Not 100% on SBR but try calling AZ fish and Game see what they say. I will ask around and see what I find out.

AZ is sort of the do what ever you want to in terms of Guns it's a great place to live

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.