Gunco Forums banner

Deer hunting

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  willie 
#1 ·
Is everyone gearing up for season? I have been dreaming about the big one. I can't wait!!

#3 ·
Bow season opens the 29th for deer. Started using a crossbow last year and getting antsy to stick something. Shot a small boar a couple of weeks back and lost the blood trail. Firearms nock them down a lot better but like the fun of throwing pointy sticks at them.

#4 ·
the youth hunt is next weekend an my son just passed hunter safety . the stand is in the tree. just need a deer to come by. he will be shooting the same 244 remington pump I killed my first deer with over 35 years ago. He just inhearited it form his great grand mother (RIP) we are going to sight it in tommorrow . 760 pump with a 3x waver scope. made in 1956 i think .

Im finishing a build for a kid as we speak its will be a sporterised AK IN 7.62X39 WITH A 18" BARREL adjuatable ar stock.. he will have a 6mm BG barrel for it for deer an varmints. the x39 barrel will work for next weekend though. there cutting the soy beans an corn as i type this.

#5 ·
My only problem this year is time, all the ice fishing commitments to our sponsors will keep me out of the woods about half the season. And I'll only have 3 days to muzzle loader hunt damn it,,,, it's my favorite hunt. It's only a week here and I'll be gone opening weekend and the last weekend,and can only hunt tues , wed and thurs,,,, that sucks, guess I'll have to "geter done" without wasting any time!! Hopefully I'll have my buck by then.

#6 ·
Stuck one boar a little to high and forward in the friggin shield. Broke the arrow off just behind the ferule. He'll be limping but will survive. My Buddy skewered a nice 140lb meat bore Sunday morning through the heart suprising fell dead on the spot. Always seems like tracking is involved when sticks are used.

#7 ·
I can't say I'd relish tracking a wounded bore through the scrub very much,,,, there mean enough as it is . They must be something when there hit? Hell,, I haven't hunted hogs sense the 70's in NC,, and it was pretty damn fun. We didn't even hunt them with dogs back then, so it was quite a chalenge to get one. A deer ain't got nothing on them, there tough! Do you use dogs in your area, or stalk them?

#8 ·
Typically we ”Stand” hunt them or if we see them while driving we'll shoot at them. It's archery season for deer so can't have a rifle/shotgun in possession while bow hunting deer. In the last three seasons crossbows are legal. Here is weird twist you can have a rifle/shotgun and a bow in your stand and claim you are hog hunting even during deer archery season. Don't personally hunt with dogs but have friends that do either on 4 Wheelers or Horseback. Hogs can't see but have good ears and sense of smell. Hogs are easier to throw sticks at, just the kill zone is a lot smaller than deer with a bow. Rifle is different just behind the ear or facing between the eyes. Best bow shot on hogs is quartering away so you can get behind the shield at the vitals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.