Gunco Forums banner

The new blind

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  twa2471 
#1 ·
This is last weeks "Latest Project" and is almost complete, just need door and window gaskets and finish up one window and put on wider tires then she'll be all done and ready to go. I buttoned it up real well so I can use it like a "mini camper " too for week-end trips if I want to. It will pull triple duty as a blind, overnight camper, and warming shack for ice fishing with larger groups or for tip-up fishing. Hopefully this will help sense I seem to be having a bit harder a time getting around each year, that fall really kicked my ass and is dragging me down more each year!

Now,,,,I'm trying to hook up with the Wounded Warrior project, DAV, and the local Am. Legion posts to see if there is any interest in having me set it up for disabled vet hunters for deer season. Just got to find a place for it and see if there is an interest by anyone in getting this deal off the ground. Hope so. I'd like to do this for my brothers if possible and I'd like to be able to give them the opportunity to be able hunt again. I know how much I miss hunting like I used to, so maybe I can give back some by trying to get something like this going locally for my brother vets. I think it's a good cause myself,,plus,,,what to hell else am I going to do to keep myself outa mischief nowadays? Pretty much all I do now is 4-wheeler around, hunt, fish and work on the Buick and go to car shows, so I need as much as possible going on so I don't just shrivel up and fade away, taking it easy sure don't work well, I'm worse off by doing so, I'd rather stay active.

Here's the new blind/overnighter camper,,,,,whatever,,,99% done

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks pretty nice! I've built a few blinds/condos before too. Never had one on wheels though.

#4 ·
I see deer every day on our little 20 acres here in South Missouri & I would be glad to let you park it here! Heh..Heh

Keep us posted with how it goes with the vet idea!

You have to keep busy no matter how much it hurts . I just had shoulder surgery & it now hurts like a mother fucker BIG TIME!
But if I don't force my self to do the phys therapy, it will never get better.

I have two more lifetimes worth of projects going all at once & just don't give myself time to wither up & die.

#5 ·
I really hope I can get something going for the disabled vets,,anybody got any good connections with any of those organizations so I know where to start or at least get general info????? I got some buds with the Legion so I can ask them,,but the others I'm not sure about,,,,

Ya ken3030,, it is a bit of a condo ain't it?? Way fancier than anything I've had before, I usually just use a pop-up type ,," Dog House". Best part it comes off the trailer with just 4 nuts,but that's one other thing I need to do too,, angled leg pockets on each corner. I've seen them before but you think I can find them now?? HELL NO! Damned if I can remember where I saw them right now either???? Brain farts ya know,,,,Gezzzzz ! It happens way to often nowadays,think I'm loosing it !

Good Lord!

I know what ya mean Bradrock,,same here, this retired and being decrepit Chit ain't all it's cracked up to be. Being in pain every day does kinda get to you after a bit, but WTF, we just got to suck it up and carry on I guess, no biggie. I wished I was out there,, I don't have a single hunting bud left around here anymore, at least not serious ones, just sluff-offs,,,,

#8 ·
There are some MONSTER racks here in Missouri! I see these little kids come in from the youth hunt with 8 & 10 pointers that dwarf anything I ever saw hunting in Michigan for 20 years.

#7 ·
Yes it was. And after about eight weeks, I'm wondering WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST DO?? They also gave me a nerve block where I could not use or even feel my arm for two days. So they could forcefully windmill my arm all around to tear loose adhesions to my shattered collarbone.
$20,000 plus to fricken ruin my shoulder is about how I feel.

Hell; I had bladder cancer surgery last winter & that was a walk in the park compared to this bullshit.

#9 ·
Very nice twa. Our friends down in WV call theirs a "whack shack". :biggrin:

#10 ·
Man it was my right shoulder and I'm right handed. It does get better but I still think I'm a southpaw. Good news I can shoot my 308's again. Dumb ass me when it first happened I kept shooting 8mms.8 weeks after rebuild they told me I could shoot my 1022.freaking nerve block like you said. Two days max. Good luck to you man

#11 ·
Just an update,,blind is done done with a few more goodies added,,interior lights,,red & white ones, floor insulation, carpet to keep it quite, Little Buddy heater and it's now ready to rock other than the fresh plates.

Plus,,,,,,,More Good news, after only the first face to face with one of the local Legion Commanders today, I already have 2, possibly 3 different spots to set it up in good locations and a couple local candidates for the first hunts. One a WW11 101st Vet that was @ D-day that had parachuted in behind enemy lines to capture a bridge there,,and @ 88 years young, he really wants to get out and hunt again but needs a walker and can't normally. That will be perfect for him. The other a 2 tour Afghanistan Vet with a new prosthetic leg he's learning to steer around, who happens to be the son of someone I went to school with and was on the x-country team with in the late 60's, it's his youngest son, 27.

I'm as excited as I can possibly be after all the great comments I got today and by the interest shown by the members that happened to be there today. I think this will fly,,,

I'M MORE THAN PUMPED NOW!!!! This is just the first day of face to face meetings,and it looks really promising already. I hope this really takes off,,now,, if I can just get Fish & Wildlife on board with public land opportunities, that will really open up some doors. I'd like to try to get access to some of the wood roads on public lands that may not be normally available. I'll see how that goes, normally they don't, but lately they have made some accommodations for disabled vets, hopefully they will be on board with this. I know a couple wardens pretty well so I'll speak with them and get the right contact info.

Wish me luck boys !!! I might have just gotten myself into another major project. But I feel it's a just cause, plus,,,what to hay, I got to keep out of mischief somehow!!!

The Buick's parked for the winter,,the shows are done,fire woods all put up for the winter, and we won't have ice for >2 more months,so if I don't do something I'll just be spending my time watching Judge Judy, or As The Stomach Turns,,,no friggin way!!!:smilie_sc

Damn Brad take care of that shoulder, don't push it to hard now. I did that with a wrist I tore some tendons in years ago and it took me twice as long to heal up and I was a young pup at the time,,take her easy bud! You don't want to screw it up permanently at your,,,, feeble old age! :lol: Break out the 223 for now,,,,we don't heal as fast as we used to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.