Gunco Forums banner

anyone thought about squirrel hunting yet?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  perry 
#1 ·
My dad made the best squirrel gravy ! Hope he'll share the recipe before he passes. But he's always been one of these throw everything in there until it tastes right kind of guys! LOL

#2 ·
Squirrel hunting in my back yard is a year round thing. I average about two per week. As people in the city consider them rats with bushy tails,
I don't eat them. As I don't enjoy shooting them, I must as they multiply like you know what.
As a young boy I was quiet fond of fried squirrel and rabbet. Those were good times.

#3 ·
I haven't been squirrel hunting since 1987 when I lived on Rt50 along the Ohio river. I have taken two from my window since I got my Benjamin Discovery in .22 pellet July 1st. I have a 3/4" pipe 6" long hanging from a tree branch 50 yards from my window I shoot at daily.

#5 ·
Speaking of BBQ squirrel, I have a recipe that is really good. Batter the squirrel parts like you would fried chicken. Flash deep fry them in really hot oil just until the batter is crispy and golden. Remove from oil and drain. The meat wont be done at this point. Place in a crock pot with your favorite BBQ sauce and cook till done. It is "the bomb"!

#11 ·
I loved squirrel hunting way back in the day. I haven't done that in a long time. Took many squirrels with my old bolt-action .410 I've been wanting to get a good pellet gun, live in town now and the damn squirrels are overrunning us. I gave up on planting a garden, sobs steal everything worthwhile.

mtdew, that recipe has got me hungry too! Sounds great.

#12 ·
mmmm, squirrel...

I have a few fat squirrels I see in the yard from time to time - especially now that they are eating the walnuts. But they usually hang out at the neighbors place.

#13 ·
I just shoot the Reds in my yard and the grays get a free pass,,,but in the woods,,,,all bets are off. The reds are always making nests in my garage, outbuildings ect, and they make a stinking mess,,so there a target!!! Especially around my deer stands. I don't eat grays much anymore but I used to do up a stew that was killer!! I give them to a bud of mine now that loves them, and he can't hunt anymore so he gets them. Hay,,,any excuse to go hunting is fine by me,and I still love hunting them,,there dandy practice. There not that easy a target ducking and diving around like they do,,but defiantly fun to hunt and great pratice.

And YES I have been squirrel hunting,,sense the beginning of the month when season opened. Any excuse to get out in the woods hunting,, works for me.

#15 ·
perry - it sounds like the squirrels in parts of Lansing. It was always interesting seeing the black squirrels and red (or was it gray) squirrels chasing each other and fighting.

#16 ·
I saw some black squirrels in south central Arkansas that I swear were as big as house cats. And there was a larger than normal population of black to red squirrels. This was in Felsenthal wildlife refuge.
Theres a place in Texas where the city park has a very large percentage of white squirrels. They said there wouldn't be that many in the wild cause predators get the white ones first(poor camo) and they don't get to breed cause they get eaten before they can get to breeding age. But in that park they flourish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.