Gunco Forums banner

Got Her Done

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  nutznboltz 
#1 · (Edited)
Well no more fussing around, smoked this one @ 7:38 this AM. 138 clean dressed "estimated', 8 points,,,

Oh Yaw Baby,,chow for the freezer now mister!!:thumbup1:

Tomorrow there's major rain and wind storm coming so I'll get it wrapped and in the freezer. Back straps and scalloped potato's , corn on the cob and a nice frosty Long Trail IPA is on the slate for supper. Nice,,my mouth is watering already,, I can't hardly wait.

Next day I'll, be out chasing the ever elusive "Barnie" ,a close to a 350-400 lb Black bear I've been seeing but not been able to get a clean shot at for 3 years. Friday may be the charm, he's upon the "Big Mountain" too and his # is just about up if I have anything to say about it. I've been hunting him mono-a mono for 3 years now, (no dogs or bait) this year may be the charm??

Now let the work begin. The timing couldn't be much better though with the storm coming, Hopefully I'll get it all processed tomorrow and be ready for Fridays hunt. I know damn well I'll be dying for a nice tenderloin sampling when I get done then too,,no doubt !!! That's a big mountain with lots of ledge's. And he's a crafty one, going to have to work for him, just like anything from up there.

Me and 2 of my other disabled Nam Bro's are going to the high country after "Barnie"and to get a deer for both of them,,he's a big bastard!! Wish me luck!

Life Is Good,,,Killer gets it done, once again,,,1 shot,,1 kill :thumbup1: Sadly I had only a quartering away shot so I think I toasted the better part of one front quarter?

Best part I only had to drag it 20 yards and was able to winch it up the ledge the rest of the way with the wheeler and a extra 30' piece of rope,,,,:thumbup1:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool! When I bag and tag a deer we usually have a "liver fry" with potatoes that night. Glad deer liver tastes so much better than beef liver (can't stand that).

#4 ·
Y'all run em with dogs up there twa? So called Fox hunters do. Them and the road warriors are looked down on here. Curious about customs in different parts is all. I'm still a ridge runner. I just don't eat brains. Jeez! Blech. Just me.

#7 ·
That's just an average basket rack deer for around here actually, it looks to be about 2 1/2-3 years old I'd say, full molars with very little wear tells me that. I like to target younger bucks anyways, they taste better IMO!

When you get to what we'd consider a decent buck, you're talking 180-200 lbs or better and 10+ points, you just have to work harder for those though, and I just can't anymore,so I'm just glad Mother Earth allowed me to take this one.

I had 14 mounts I'd gotten years back all over 12 points , and from 200 + lb deer stolen from our camp, not quite state records,, but close and defiantly trophy deer in there own right and ones to be super proud of. Hope there found someday ,most were marked.

Check out the "Benoit Brothers" hunting site,

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=yhs-mozilla-004&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004 ,,,

this is what can be expected to be found here in VT if you put in the time and effort. There really really , good people and I've hunted with them in the past a few times mostly with Larry in the late 70's,early 80's, But you'd better damn well be one hell of a hunter, Cause Brother,,these boys hunt hard and will put you through your paces if you want to hunt with them !!! Kinda VT's version of Duck Dynasty !!

But, to be perfectly honest,,I hunt the younger ones now cause they are just dummer and easier to trick!! I'm no where as limber or as ambitious as I used to be, so I need all the stuff in my "Bag-O-Tricks" I can pull to get one nowadays !! :lol::lol::lol: Sucks being decrepit now and having to make allowances and accommodation for all the fun stuff I've always done,,:grumble::grumble: Oh Well,,,,

I'd like at least one more trophy mount I could pass down though. I'll peck away at it as best I can and just hope some monster makes a mistake when I'm around. I ain't down for the count quite yet mister !!

Hell No we can't run deer with dogs here, BLASPHEMY!!! Ya get caught here, it will cost you a 5 year suspension minimum, thousands in fines, and they'll take your dogs, guns and vehicle too if used when doing so ! And ya won't get none of them back either!!!

Ya got to do it the old fashion way,,,you got to earn the game you take in this state generally,,it's the VT way! There thinking of taking dogs away for running bear now too,,and that's just fine with me,,it separates the men from the boys IMHO. :thumbup1: If you can get a bear with out them or bait, then your a real hunter IMO and you've really earned your bear. Just a Danial Boone mentality on my part I guess??

#9 ·
Thanks perry. It tastes pretty damn good too.

Had 3 meals of t-loins already and it's absolutely killer!!!:thumbup1:

1 more small one and I'll be good through to almost next season, I'll usually run out in August getting 2 each year. I did have a very unusual 2 year dry spell though, that sucked!!!

We won't let that happen again!:angry: Almost forgot just how damn good it is!!!

#10 ·
The inside straps are the first to be eaten the next morning after the kill served up in half inch filets with poached Eggs and fresh tomato slices on the side. Taking about a tasty breakfast yummy. And then of course the liver and onions for dinner. And i too prefer the younger deer, always taste better then the older deer.

#11 ·
Same here, that was my supper the following day, the inner loins. They were awesome too!!!!

It don't get much better than that:thumbup1:

I did luck out though, I thought I'd done a bunch of damage to one front quarter, but I didn't really loose much meat after all, it looked worse than it was. The bullet exit and blood shot part was confined to just above the knee, so I lost very little meat after all. Maybe 3-4 lbs of stew meat. That's about it.

Shooting downhill and with a quartering away shot , I hit high 2" behind the shoulder and it exited at the brisket on the opposite side exiting just above the knee. Just missed the heart and took out the front of both lungs, it went maybe 5 yards,3 steps and dropped,,no muss, no fuss! It was down before I even got the next round fully chambered.

I Love it when a plan comes together!!! Now comes muzzle loader season in 2 weeks, that and help my hunting buds try to get there's during rifle , Sundays it for rifle season. They'd better get busy, I'll put the deer to them, but they have to shoot there own, I just can't do it for them!

One guy I hunt with,,can't hit the broad side of a barn,and he gets buck fever and just can't seem to place a clean shot where he wants it, he's missed the last 5 years in a row!! Damn I wish he could just settle down and take a good shot instead of just blasting away and getting all twitchy!! He just has no patience !!!

#12 ·
Good shootin brother.. :thumbup1: Only had bear meat once and it was a bit on the greasy side but tasted good. Guess yah gotta cook it right?

#13 ·
I gather there is a knack to cooking bear meat, but with the only 2 I've gotten, I spent the extra time to get all the fat and tallow off, so it was fine eating. I guess that's the secret to processing bear meat?

I haven't seen "Barnie" in a few days now,and not sure if he got spooked to a different location, or if he's on a different pattern right now,,he's "skunked me" yet another year,and the season has ended now.

I'll be on him next year though, and if he's not already a state record bear,,he might just be by next year,,,he's a Monster , the biggest Black I've ever seen anyhow, and I've seen a ton before!

The quest for Barnie continues,,,,,year 5 coming up next season chasing that bugger,,I'll get his ass yet !!! I think I've got him pretty well patterned now though and he seems to hold in pretty much the same area each year,,next years the charm I think??? I'm persistent if nothing else.

#15 ·
I learned to always cook mine on the BBQ outside. Must be you didn't get all the tallow off, it don't usually stink if you do,,,if you don't,,,

wewwwww, not so good smelling. The fat flares up wicked on a open fire and kinda smells like moldy kerosene burning,best I can describe it,, NASTY !!!

It depends allot on what they been eating too, so I've been told?? I gather bears that forage trash aren't to good a eating. Ones taken way out where they don't aren't bad eating,,but all are fatty as can be and you have to get it all off !!

A open rotating spit is a good call for it, so the old timers tell me. Never been a bear meat fan myself,,,
even if cooked right.

I just like to match wits with them,,that's why I've only gotten 2,,,,I'm a dumb ass in the forest compared to them especially if you hunt them one on one with no bait! The trophy ridge runners around here are pretty damn crafty I must admit.

I'll still pattern Barnie this year if I see him again during muzzle loader season. It's been in the 50's pretty consistently and he's not even thinking of den-ing up quite yet,so he's still out and about and pigging out. He's not off the hook yet though, there's next year. I'm going to find his den area when he come's out in Spring and there's still snow on. Maybe sooner if we get snow during muzzle loader? Don't look good though! I'm going to study him better for next season anyways, that's the only way I'll get a crack at him.

He is only seen occasionally, but every one that has seen him was duly impressed, they all say "it's the biggest bear they'd every seen and he must be a record bear". And lots of these boys are real hunters and got there share of nice critters over the years, so they'd know and it's not just me thinking so!

#16 ·
Bears are critters too. Every frikken spring they come down to get the cherries from our trees and crap in the yard. Our home was built in the 1860's and like deer they have schedules and its hard to believe when you tell people a deers schedule they just go wandering off in the woods.
Told my youngest son one year to sit in spot A and look at spot B. He looked at spot C and caught a glimpse of the deer from the corner of his eye. At spot B.
The old house we live in was the home of an orchard owner way back then. Walnuts,cherries and Apple trees abound along with a spring fed pond and 2 or 3 springs in 3/4 mile. We just don't like deer meat.

#17 ·
And twa if you do get Barnie good luck. Bucks are the smart ones here. Rarely seen,especially the older smart ones. I've told y'all about our dog getting head butted up here and chased thru the yard by the mama does. Funny stuff there.:rofl::thumbup1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.