Thread: Coleman Lantern Repair

Feedback Score

Lightbulb Coleman Lantern Repair

I am now the Grand Poo-bah Jedi Master of Coleman Lantern Repair after this morning's crash course.

Kneel in respect and partake of my infinite Coleman Lantern wisdom.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Talking

To honor you, we will now perform the ceremonial burning of the mantle.

Feedback Score

Talking

Feedback Score

I still have one of the older models, it saved the day (night) after hurricane andrew, I spent 2 weeks without power.

Feedback Score

I found out the hard way that they dont do well with salt water.
    That nut that holds the top on was a bit rusty so I used vice-grips to turn it.
    Sheared off the bolt on top of the burner unit.

I got one of the dual fuel ones that runs on Unleaded or White Gas.

Feedback Score

Arrow

Another problem I ran into was that since Mine's the Dual-Fuel variety, that it has a different burner, requiring me to shell out $15 for the burner another $4 for a nut and I ordered a 4 pack of mantles just for the hell of it. My neighbor offered to sacrifice his old lantern to my resplendant greatness, but he was unworthy of sacrificial offering.

:

Besides he's a jerk and I dont want to owe him any favors.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You know, funny thing about those mantles. My Dad's first motorhome had a gas light on the wall that took those mantles, every time he drove down the road the mantle would break off. Everybody who has Coleman Lanterns say they replace mantles regularly. I bought one of those Coleman dual fuel lanterns almost 10 years ago. They had replacement mantles on sale that week so I bought about 10 sets at $.50 per. That damn lantern is STILL on it's original set of mantles! $5 wasted on useless spare mantles!

SVT
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Ive got a coleman dual fuel thats about 10 or so years old, and the original mantles still burn bright. Used it last weekend fishing at the lake. Good little lantern.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Cool

I used to work for a natural gas company that had the same type of mantels for the gas lights in peoples front or back yards. The mantels were $8.00 plus labor to change them out if the home owner could not do it themselves way back then.

A note on the side for the coleman lantern mantels, they are radioactive so don't store too many of them in one location. No, I am not a nutcase on this one, get out your geiger counter and check one set or google coleman gas mantels and see what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink
    You know, funny thing about those mantles. My Dad's first motorhome had a gas light on the wall that took those mantles, every time he drove down the road the mantle would break off. Everybody who has Coleman Lanterns say they replace mantles regularly. I bought one of those Coleman dual fuel lanterns almost 10 years ago. They had replacement mantles on sale that week so I bought about 10 sets at $.50 per. That damn lantern is STILL on it's original set of mantles! $5 wasted on useless spare mantles!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

They used to contain Thorium, IIRC. Alpha emitter. I think Coleman went to yttrium back in the early 90s so Coleman stuff you buy today should be safe. Some of the aftermarket ones still use Thorium though. The old Thoriums were pretty safe unless you breathed or ate the ash from the broken ones. Used to be a big problem back in the day before electricity, when gaslights were common.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.