Feedback Score

Cool Finally got to go to the lake

Here are some pics

The campsite

The seadoo--my favorite thing to do

The boat

View from camp of the lake

Mother nature moving in---water is starting to white cap---very nasty waves

And the clouds start rolling in--needless to say--we didn't hang around much longer......lol I tried to get good shots of the lightning streaks, but I'm not fast enough

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wrestle any gators this time Taz Dundee??
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

Talking

Ya'll are too clean!

I've got to get some pics of improvised shelter this summer to show you how civilized you are and demonstrate my point. That can't be a campsite, I see no tarps! A boat with a built-in roof? Cheaters!

Cool pics, I'd have taken some last night but my biggest fish only went about 3 pounds. Flathead though, from a resevoir that supposedly doesn't have any...

Happy 4th!

Edit! I do believe there is a tarp! Nevermind my previous critisism...

Feedback Score

Yeah we keep a tidy camp---have to clean up after the pigs that camped before us!

Yes there are many many tarps........lol and the boat only has an awning--we don't have the enclosure.---We did make one however out of guess what?? TARPS........lol It sucked sleeping on the boat so we went back to tents

Feedback Score

Tarps are the outdoorsperson's duct tape! Of course duct tape comes in handy just the same. I'd like to have a convertable pontoon one of these days, my old aluminum tub is just downright uncomfortable.

I keep a tidy camp trash-wise, and I hear ya about cleaning up after other folks. Had to clean the spot I fished last night just to be comfortable with it. They finally added trash cans at the lake but it appears nobody tends to them. Wish I had a scanner, I've got some cool pics of some of my river campsites. At night from the boat, with the tent, tarps, tiki torches and fog, most look like a scene from "Apocalypse Now". Slightly more comfortable than it sounds...I dig it.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Must be nice camping where the terrain is so flat you never wake up in a pile in the bottom corner of your tent and you can see weather coming your way.

is that Florida?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I remember Taz saying that they camped on a island in the middle of a lake. Didn't think it was Florida, but I can't remember for sure.
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by D.B.Cooper
    Must be nice camping where the terrain is so flat you never wake up in a pile in the bottom corner of your tent and you can see weather coming your way.

is that Florida?
    DB that lake has some of the most beautiful camping spots. It's great to go out there and abandon yourself on the island for a week. The only thing is the bad weather rolls in quickly. There isn't any land to slow it down, so once you see it, you better decide what your next move is--you don't have time to play.

It's Lake Marion in SC--also known as the upper lake--it's "sister lake" Lake Moultrie is known as the lower lake--they're connected by the Diversion Canal which is 7 miles long. Lake Marion is 96,400 acres and Lake Moultrie is 60,300 acres.

Both lakes are infested with alligators. We've seen more than a few on any given day--and my dad was knocked off the sea doo by one last summer or the summer before.

And here is the latest gator in the news--he was out of the lower lake--Lake Moultrie.........

I know for a fact that he is not the only big one in town--fortunately enough there's not too many attacks by the big boys. We keep our pistols with us as at all times--it's illegal to kill 'em but family first
    Plucky retriever gets better of huge alligator

BY BO PETERSEN
    Of The Post and Courier Staff

PINOPOLIS--The alligator that grabbed Cooper was nearly 14 feet long and weighed more than 700 pounds. It might even be a state record. But the "big puppy" of a golden retriever didn't back down as he fought for his life in a Lake Moultrie canal.

"I heard him howl once. I thought he was dead," Chase Kierspe, 14, said of the family pet who likes to lie at his feet and get his belly rubbed. "The alligator was huge. I didn't think he could fight it. He fights me, but that's all."

But when Chase quit yelling for help and looked again, Cooper stood on the canal's bank behind the family home, torn flesh hanging from his flank.

The harrowing moments happened in June, as Chase cut the lawn. Alligators are part of life on Lake Moultrie. Smaller ones haunt the canal between the Pinopolis home and the open lake. Bigger ones drift past the cypress trees offshore.

Cooper, a 5-year-old, is kept behind the backyard fence or on a leash.

But when Chase looked up, Cooper had gotten out. The dog, who loves to swim, had crossed the canal and stood under a pine tree on the far bank.Chase looked in the water beneath the pine and saw the biggest gator he'd ever seen. He threw his drink cup at it. He threw a lawn chair at it. But the gator didn't budge. Then Cooper leaped and the gator followed. Chase turned, ran and screamed for help.

The state doesn't keep records of alligator size. But this gator "was certainly one of the largest if not the largest we've taken in some time," said Walt Rhodes of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. Two poached alligators that were seized and measured informally were a few inches shorter. The state seized an alligator that was informally weighed at more than 800 pounds.

But "as far as I know, as far as I've been told, this is the largest gator documented," said Ron Russell of Gator Getter Consultants, the contractor who caught it and had the length and weight certified. It took eight men to lift it into the truck, he said.

"The head was just unbelievable. It had 7-1/2-inch paws. He was a horse, no doubt about it."

Cooper had flesh and muscle torn from a front leg, chunks of skin torn from both haunches. The plucky dog also was missing a few teeth. The alligator had bites in its snout.

"I never heard of a dog getting away from an alligator in the water," said Tom Kierspe, Chase's dad. The family has lived at the lakeside for six years. "You always hear that they grab them, go under and do the 'death roll.' "

Rhodes estimated the alligator to be 60 years old, and said it was missing a few teeth itself, to age. That and Cooper's ferocity likely persuaded the gator to let it go.

Cooper is back scampering with some shaved patches of fur, a few new scars and a sadder and wiser look in his eyes. On a recent afternoon on the leash, he sniffed his way warily to the canal bank, watching back and forth.

Russell seized and killed the alligator as an emergency nuisance removal under contract with the Natural Resources Department.

There are an estimated 100,000 alligators in South Carolina. They are relatively docile, but they are attracted to thrashing and are known to attack dogs that are prey sized.

TOM KIERSPE Chase Kierspe kneels next to a dead Alligator that his dog Cooper fought on a Lake Moultrie Canal.

There have been fewer than a dozen attacks on humans in the Palmetto State in the nearly 30 years records have been kept, including an attack Tuesday on a landscaper at Sea Pines on Hilton Head Island.

Most attacks were provoked by people trying to feed or catch one of the reptiles. In one case, a child stepped on an alligator while crossing a canal.

The department gets 500 or more calls per year asking for an alligator to be removed because it is a nuisance or threat; permits are issued if the alligator is large enough and its location or behavior a menace. Most alligators trapped as nuisances are 6 feet or longer.

Natural Resources Department officials warn people to use common sense around alligators: Don't swim or let children or pets swim in water where large alligators live, especially at dawn, dusk or after dark, when the creatures are active.

The huge gator's head and hide now sit in Kierspe's freezer. He has contacted local museums and parks about getting it mounted and put on display. He's considering applying to get it certified as a state record.

As for Cooper, Kierspe said, "we changed his name to 'Lucky.' "

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.