Gunco Forums banner

When Camping: Tent or Camper???

3K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Flinter 
#1 ·
And why do you camp like that?

#2 ·
If I had a camper, I'd take it to camp with but until I buy one I have to settle with the tent! I have 2 cots that I use inside the tent that I bought from Bass Pro Shops and the wife and I love them. I have trouble with sleping on the ground because I wake up all stiff. And when its cold I sleep in the mini van with a HF ceramic heater on. I dont have a choice when its cold to have to settle for the van because I love to deer hunt. Speaking of hunting....I am going to the north georgia mtns. on January 7-10. Cant wait!

#4 ·
I generally take a tent or a tarp. Truth be told, I prefer a tarp mainly because I can see outside while I'm laying in my bedroll.

32 years old and still scared of the dark! :wink: lol

When I camp I go really light. A tarp, bag of beans, some jerkey, wool blanket, knife, first aid kit......oh ya, some tea. I like the "getting back to basics" aspect of it.

#6 ·
It used to be tents and sleeping bags when I went to the northern remote parts of the state hunting and fishing. now I have a 37 foot camper in a remote campground that I keep there year round. No more need for tents, as the camper stays where I used to tent out, right in heaven's back yard. Awesome Brookie and Salmon fishing in every direction... moose, deer, bear, rabbit and even coyote hunting is great within a 5 minute walk. All this plus a 6,000 watt generator keeps the AC cooling me off in the summer, and warm during the 30 below cold spells in late January. I love it.

#7 ·
I camp a lot. And, I've thought about getting a camper. But, most of the places I go are far off the road, and would be difficult getting a large camper back there, and if you did get it back there, there is a danger of getting it stuck. Perhaps a small truck camper on the back of my F-350 4x4 would work.

As it is now, I use a 10x18 tent, and a cooking awning, and lots of convenient stuff I take with me. I don't like to rough it too much. I had plenty of that in the Army.

Here is another trip I went on with my grandkids:

It's best to watch the weather report if you are going to camp in a area that is subject to flash flooding. :D

#8 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
I'm like Flinter, I like being able to see around me. I'm 48 and I know there is stuff in the dark to be afraid of.
LOL, to heck w/that, I wouldn't want to see!!!! :bolt:

Dang Pogo,
that would spoil a trip for sure.

#10 ·
I have a cowboy bed roll I use most times. I sometimes will use my Colemen tent, and I use my camp trailer once or twice a yr for camping.

I travel to alot and don't like to pay for motels so I stay very often at the fairgrounds or Rodeo grounds wherever I am, the folks at those places don't mind and my dogs, horses and I can get some water and walk around some.

#13 ·
When I was a young pup we had a sheepcamp, also spent alot of time out west of where I live at in the ranch cabin, it has no running water elec and such. So in a way the ranch house was camping, just didn't move it around.

#14 ·
Tent camping. Someday I will have another VW van with a pop top (westaphalia, i.e. eurovan MV weekender). But for me and my family, we enjoy tent camping. renting a cottage on a lake is nice - but to me that is a vacation and not camping.

#15 ·
Cephus said:
Tent sleeping bag and a cookstove or it ain't camping it's a house on wheels.
Preach it Brother Cephus....

I'm fond of a bedroll on pine needles myself, but will subject myself to a tent and coleman stove if I have my bedwarmer along. :thumbup1:

#16 · (Edited)
Pogo, awesome set up. You camp much like we do--I don't have any pics loaded on my computer of our site, but I'll be sure to get some up soon. We have to camp with a tent, because we strand ourselves on an island in the middle of the lake. It's so beautiful and peaceful. You wake up in the morning and hear the water moving--ahhhhhhh refreshing. We did have a silver fox stalk our camp last time. He was cool though---he grunted and growled a bit the first night to let us know he was there, the next night, he came and laid about 100 yds from the tent--all night. We don't go out after dark--we camp amongst gators and other critters.......lol If mother nature calls and you can't absolutely hold it---it takes 2 of us go...one to hold the flashlight to light a path, the other carries the bucket (5 gallon bucket with a hole in the bottom and a toilet seat on top) the shovel and the toilet paper......lol It's fun and I have a blast! Mom and Dad live for the summer so we can go camping.

#17 ·
Cephus said:
Tent sleeping bag and a cookstove or it ain't camping it's a house on wheels.
Oh yeah, definately tent. Cookstove is nice, but I'll take a wood fire any day. There's nothing better than deer steak roasted over an open fire. Yeah, a little hickory, hard maple and apple wood. Yummy. May have to go set up the tent in the yard tonight. Better grab a couple sleeping bags though, supposed to be down to zero tonight. May skip the tent and just go for the steak and then head back in.

#18 ·
I would love nothing better but to have a wood fire--however last time we did a fire I got very ill. I was sick for 3 weeks--my doc said I had a severe reaction to the smoke. I don't know if it's the type of wood we burned or what, but I can't take that chance again. It happened once before around a bon fire, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together until it happened under the same circumstances. Such a shame--I grew up around fireplaces-that's all we had for heat--now I can't be around fires :bawling:

#23 ·
Cephus said:
But that's not camping that's RVing. Camping is with a bedroll or tent
But my wife won't go out there with me this way... can't plug the hairdryer into the nearest maple:dunno:
I like the tenting method, too, but only in the summer.
The guys I bought the camper with used to tent with me all the time, but I guess we're spoiled now. Gotta be comfy (gettin old, I guess)
Something about sleeping in a tent at -30 just don't seem right...

#24 ·
Cephus said:
Could by the type of wood or the starter that was used. We got some one night in the dark that had poision ivy on it and two of the guys got it real bad.
Dunno, everything was stripped of leaves, I do know we got a piece of fatlighter--if you never smelled it--it has a very distinct smell--but I'm not willing to go testing the types of wood that make me sick--I will gladly avoid at all cost--my fever hit 102.7, I was violently dry heeving, my throat was so swollen I couldn't even swallow broth--me at one of my most glorious moments let me tell ya! the worst part was my mom and dad felt so guilty, but it was my idea to start a fire and roast marshmellows :bawling:

#26 · (Edited)
As promised here is our home away from home--gotta love it out there

well these are the "friendly neighborhood alligators" they have been aggressive towards us at times, mainly if it's nesting season. The one in the blueish water actually knocked my dad off the seadoo shortly before we took this pic--he came outta no where---apparently he was quite irritated that day--as you can see they're pretty large and in charge--the one up top is about 12-14 feet long--that's just part of his head and some of his tail. When we saw him for the first time we were in awe--especially since my dad was in the water with him :eek:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.