Thread: The Mighty Buffalo Creek 17 Mile Canoe race

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default The Mighty Buffalo Creek 17 Mile Canoe race

One of Lupe's thread reminded me of this, so I dug out some pictures. As the title says, the race is 17 miles long in pretty calm waters. A few rocks and rapids, but hardly anything that could be considered whitewater. The falls were the biggest problem for folks, but it never was for me. We always paddled our guts out to get as much speed as possible, then at the last minute, both of us would scoot toward the back and get as low as possible.

I've done this race twice. The 1st time was a challenge because I was told that I couldn't build a canoe that would hold up to the race. So, I had to prove them wrong. I built a canoe out of 1/4" cdx plywood and finished 16th with it. It sat low in the water and was a speed demon in deep water. The problem was when we hit shallow stuff, had to get out and drag it alot. But it finished. Had we had deeper water, I think we could have won.

I don't have pics from the first, but these pics were from the second time and we walked away with a 2nd place trophy.

As you can see, the falls were nothing major. This is at the bottom of East Run hill for and the other Mannington folks. The bridge was at the finish line. I was the anchor man in back. My partner weighed in at 110 pounds, and I weighed in at, well, just a little but more at 220. Definately an endurance test!! Takes about 4 hrs, although it has been done in just a little over 2 when the water was higher.

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score

WOW, ya know how to have fun, thanks for the pics.
    With friends, this is a cool world; without friends, it would be unbearably cold.

Feedback Score

Cool pics Preacher!

I am a canoe fanatic...I have a old town 17ft and a Pelican 15ft and love to fish and camp outta em whenever possible...
    Never done any whitewater though..

Thanks for the pics!
    Ubersoldate.....

Feedback Score

who won the race? ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus
    Yea and most guys just end up with a wet arse for there trouble.
    Well mine still got plenty wet. No matter how good your are, for a split second your front end goes under and scoops some water. We always tied a small bucket to the seat to bail it out. In those pics IIRC, we jumped out, turned ot over and dumped it instead of one person bailing for 5 minutes.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WC846
    who won the race? ?
    The King Brothers. They win it almost every year but they paid more for their canoe than I did for my car. They race all over. You can tell when they come up on you too. We're paddling our guts out and they're all laid back, drinking a beer, barely touching the water with their paddles, and still blow by you like you're going backwards. The canoe we were in was an Old Towne.

Know anything about racing canoes AZ99?
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I do a little whitewater, actually whenever I get the opportunity. But, I do it in a kayak because they are a little easier to handle in fast water. My buddy and I went over a dam in a canoe like that once. And as a result he needed a new pair of glasses.

Canoeing and kayaking is a great way to experience the natural beauty of our waterways. You never get to see a lot of your surroundings when you are in a motor propelled watercraft.

Good pictures preacher.
    We have met the enemy, and he is us!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sweet. Looking forward to the end of Winter. Pogo, you have a very sweet kayak, BTW.
    A Day Without Shooting Something Is Like A Day Without Sunshine.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.