Favorite Battle Rifles, and why? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Battle Rifles, and why?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I like my FAL. I don't hate my CETME or my H&K but they are just not as comforatable to shoot. I'd be very intersted in the AK in 7.62 Nato if it had a milled or RPK receiver and took something like the G-3 mags like said.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

The Mad Messenger Zane Zackerly's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Templar, I read your first post on this thread and I could have sworn I had written it!

Are you sure you're not one of my other identities?

I can only add that the M14/M1A feels like a "real rifleman's rifle." There's just something about holding that wood stock in your hand that makes you appreciate the accuracy and durability of the rifle.

I personally think the M14 was never given a real chance. The one or two Vietnam vets I know who started their service in Southeast Asia with the M14 before switching to the M16 swear that a huge mistake was made when this country adopted "Matty Mattel."

One of these soldiers claims to have shot an enemy soldier through a tree with the M14. He said he tried the same thing later with his Matty Mattel, and it didn't work.

Yes, the M14 was worthless on full auto, but then again, a lot of people are of the opinion that the AK is also.

I hated the HK91. It was heavy to carry and shoot offhand, and the recoil was more like a 12-gauge shotgun than a battle rifle.
    "I Am the Mad Messenger From the Edge"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

M14 is my vote. When I was in ROTC back in the early seventies the ROTC armory was wall to wall M14s. Its strange but after the Clinton administration ordered so many distoryed the government is sending a bunch to the middle east. I guess they are just the thing for wacking the bad guys in Iraq. IMO it is the last of the classic battle rifle.
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but what is required to qualify as a 'battle rifle'?

I thought it had to be a full size rounds such as the 308 and 30-06, and that the .223 and 7.62x39 wouldn't apply.
    Member #198

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Carb850
    I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but what is required to qualify as a 'battle rifle'?

I thought it had to be a full size rounds such as the 308 and 30-06, and that the .223 and 7.62x39 wouldn't apply.

That's correct.......full power cartridges like .30/06, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x51mm (.308 Win)....etc.

"Assault Rifles" fire intermediate power cartridges like 7.62x39mm, 7.92x33mm, 5.56x45mm, 5.45x39mm.....and are, by definition, select fire.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score

308 Galil
    Member #198

Feedback Score

Used to have a BM-59, Beretta clone of a semi-automatic M-14, made by modifying an M-1 receiver. At the very top of my list of weapons I wish I still had.
    Extraordinary Commission for the Struggle Against Counterrevolution, Espionage, Speculation, and Sabotage

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

My vote is for the STG58 (FAL). The built in bipod and ergonomics are great.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Feedback Score

Ooops! Didn't specify why I liked the BM-59 (M-14 clone) so much.

Aesthetically pleasing, reliable, accurate, and I was trained in it during some unpleasantness in Southeast Asia so I was pretty handy with it.
    Extraordinary Commission for the Struggle Against Counterrevolution, Espionage, Speculation, and Sabotage

Feedback Score

When the new .308 VEPRs have the 20 round mags available, will it be a contender?
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.