Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Battle Rifles, and why?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Favorite Battle Rifles, and why?

Just wondering if my own personal preferences and biases match those of others.......

I've owned just about every semi auto MBR that has been offered........the notable exceptions are the SIG AMT and the Armalite AR-10 series, but I've shot both.

In the past, I've owned multiple HK 91's, Galil AR's in .308 win., Yugoslavian M90's in 7.62x51mm, Beretta BM-59 Nigerian Model, several Springfield Armory M1A's, and FAL's from FN, Springfield Armory, and DSA.

Of the major systems, I find it a damn close tie between a properly built FAL and a properly built M1A/M14.

Both have excellent accuracy potential, although the M14 system usually gets a nod there, and both are extremely durable and reliable.

The HK roller locking sytem, while reliable, is gives a much sharper recoil compared to the M14 and the FAL systems, and the ergonomics generally suck for anyone over 5'10". In my experience they are also a major pain in the ass to clean properly. The design is taken from a last ditch WWII system.......while the FAL and M14 rely on old school manufacturing processes which "ooze" quality when done correctly.

For sheer reliablity and durablity the AK system, as found in the Galil and the Yugoslavian rifles, are way ahead of the pack, but the lack of parts and magazines made me sell both of mine off.

The same can be said for the BM-59, which is truely the Cadilac of battle rifles, but parts and mags are expensive.

For a general purpose rifle, it's hard to beat the FAL, with it's combination of durablity, reliablity, excellent ergonomics, accuracy, and the wide array of spare parts and dirt cheap magazines. The M14/M1A is an excellent rifle, with a history of durablity and the rifles do have beautiful lines which appeal to many old school riflemen....but the spare parts situation is problmatic now with the War on Terror entering it's 4th year and the re-issue of many M14's into the GI's hands.....parts have dried up. Mag prices have come down, but you won't ever see them at $5.00 like the FAL's are.

The M1A/M14 has better sights, and a positive forward assist in the operating rod, but I still think the FAL has a superior lay out ergonomically.

The AR10's tend to be more accurate on paper, but are still somewhat problematic when it comes to reliablity over the long haul.

Anyway, my unsolicited $0.02 worth........I think you should own as many as you can and make your own judgements........
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Btween FAL and HK , I would go FAL all the way.

Never had more than a few shots behind an M14 and M1A. That might change very soon though.....

Rew
    Feedback Score

I have used an M21 (M14 sniping system) and they are alright. I qulified with the G3, I am 5'9" and the cocking handle sucks, in the prone I had to pull the rifle half way under me to reach it. It was pretty accurate. I have played with an AR10, loved it. I am so used to the M16/AR the thing just felt natural to me. I got to fire a BM59 at a shoot I attended and it was great. I own a STG58 (FAL), I like it a lot. And I can afford to shoot it and keep it running, with mag's and spare parts. So until I win the lottery and can afford an AR10, I'll stick with the FAL.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a memner of Congress...But I repeat myself......... Mark twain

Feedback Score

FAL!!!! a G1

Gunco Regular Thumb Clip Pull Pin's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Decisions, decisions! I have only had the opportunity to shoot just a few, well only eight, (AKM 7.62 X 39, 5,45 X 39, M16 (in the Marine Corps), AR 15 as a civilian, STG 58, Daewo AR 100, M1 Garande, and an M1A1.

If I was forced to grab one and bug out, I think that I would go for the STG 58.

Yours,
    Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Feedback Score

For ease of takedown and cleaning, cheap accessories, the many varients, looks, and shooting comfort.....FAL!
    A site for gun enthusiasts and the shooting sports.
    www.proshooter.org
    Further bringing our pro-gun community together.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

I like the FAL's they are completely ergonimicaly correct and acurate

Feedback Score

I would have a real hard time choosing betwen G3 and the FAL, my garand doesn't get the nod cause it isn't mag fed and the m1A doesn't fit me as well. I guess being from Belgium I'd have to go with the FAL.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

FWIW, I read that SIG AMT kits are "coming soon". Not sure if I'd own one - they are really strange looking, and I don't know much about them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie
    FWIW, I read that SIG AMT kits are "coming soon". Not sure if I'd own one - they are really strange looking, and I don't know much about them.
    DSA imported some kits from Chile about 5 years ago........I don't know if they would be the basis for the AMT's you heard about.

The AMT uses a roller locking system like the G3, but has, if possible, even worse ergonomics than the HK G3.

They are extremely accurate rifles though, and the originals are beautiful examples of Swiss manufacturing.
    Last edited by Templar; 06-12-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.