View Poll Results: Which MBR?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • FAL (please make specific suggestions)

14 60.87%
  • PTR-91

5 21.74%
  • VEPR II .308 (with the 20 round mags coming available)

2 8.70%
  • AR-10

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recent posts got me thinking............POLL TIME

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I vote for Vepr 308 with a few caveats:

- Only *IF* those mags do in fact become available.
    - Folding buttstock is available (I think it soon will be if not already)
    - Replace the sight with a normal AK sight and put a Galil style MB on the end. I'd get a MB for every .308 if I had a choice.

SSSSOOOO... if you tweak the Vepr right, it will make a nice Russian-built "no frills" Galil. I want either a Vepr or Saiga .308, just to build into something like this:

http://www.world.guns.ru/sniper/sn32-e.htm

... tell me that doesn't have sex appeal!

If you want point-and-click convenience, I'd recommend a FAL over a G3... here's why:

Cetme and G3 clones are cheap and easy, but have pragmatic issues - try cleaning one! Or try adjusting the rear sight without that little tool!!!! The cocking lever works best snapping it "Hollywood style" and if you try to silently cock it, you'll have to recycle the action because the round won't seat... and since there is NO forward assist, the gun is useless until you cycle it again!

Without BHO it makes for an awkward quick-change. Drilling is required to establish any proficiency with mag changes. And the full mags need to be "popped" in to overcome the loaded spring in the magazine, (supposedly) Saiga shotguns have the same issue. The BHO on the FAL overcomes this problem.

Also accessories are expensive... try finding an affordable collapsible stock for a G3 clone!!! Back in the day I spent $400 for a "fixer up" stock. Tapco has some good aftermarket stuff, but anything that says HK on the side will bend you over when you go to pay for it! So "generic" accessories are really your only practical choice unless you're a collector, in which case you're not going to buy a $300 clone.

Down side for the FAL is weight, but we are talking .308 MBR after all!

Feedback Score

LOL You crack me up Bob.

Talk about a sexy FAL. I've been eyeballing this build for months.

But the Basic FAL rifle "Clean" is really nice too:

They do look a hell of a lot sexier than the VEPR when you look at the next to eachother.

Edit: Actually I still think the VEPR is really nice looking compared and Pookie brought up some really great points.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score

Now wouldn't this be nice to pair up with a PTR-91?
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score

You know....I've read through dozens of posts in the last couple months on several different boards an NOBODY (even hardcore HK fans) recommends a HK91 over a FAL. Isnt that amazing?

I also find it suprising that only one person so far has voted for the VEPR....why is that?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

FAL, it is the most ergonomically correct weapon I have ever fired. it just "Fits" and feel right. I have a DSA sa58 and love it. it is accurate and fun to shoot. it has great sights, and has a cool factor of 10!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

DSA STG58A Austrian FAL Rifle with Type II Receiver, While there are less expensive FALs I don't believe there are better ones.

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...ge=AusFALR.gif
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Grendeljaeger
    DSA STG58A Austrian FAL Rifle with Type II Receiver, While there are less expensive FALs I don't believe there are better ones.

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...ge=AusFALR.gif
    Why that model of DSA over their others?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Akron Armory
    FAL BABY,...FAL! ...PERIOD.
    Well said.
    Stupid people shouldn't breathe.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

I still think a cetme looks much "cooler" sorry

Feedback Score

The FAL does offer me some advantages with the gas system, I'd would be kinder to my body than the Cetme or G3. I'm 5'5" 125 lbs. AT this point though I like a lot of the aspects the VEPR would offer me. Now that may be a wait and see if the 20 round mags actually come out, but I have time and no money .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.