Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FN FAL or HK91/G3 ????

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

snook, Ive also had both. one dsa stg 58, and an HK 91.
    personally I and my freinds loved the FAL better.
    But I've known people who'd swear buy the cetme.
    to each their own....there both great battle rifles!
    good luck

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cwtoyota
    The FAL is a much more popular rifle for several good reasons.

I personally prefer the PTR-91 (HK G3 clone with a bull barrel) due to it's accuracy. The G3 design uses a true fully floating barrel, with no gas ports so they are extremely accurate. My PTR has around 4500 rounds through it with zero issues. If you build a G3, use a Portuguese kit, they are in like new condition. Also, build on a JLD Enterprises receiver, they are the best quality.

The FAL is probably the most user friendly 7.62 main battle rifle ever made. If you pick the FAL, check out the Austrian STG-58 kits and the Imbel receivers, they make an excellent combo.
    I was under the impression that FALs were on average more accurate than G3's and were easier to accurize....not true?
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score

Very true
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to announce that France has been outlawed forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."

Feedback Score

I was under the impression that FALs were on average more accurate than G3's and were easier to accurize....not true?
    Perhaps I've been lucky but this G3 clone will shoot three shots inside 1/2" at 100 yards with Aussie surplus. The results are more like 3/8" groups with handloads using nosler moly coated ballistic tips. I've taken the time to perfect the trigger pull and the front iron sight blade. I shoot with optics most of the time though.

The PSG-1 is arguably the most accurate semi-automatic firearm available. it's really nothing more than a G3 with a bunch of accessories, a very special barrel and a specially reinforced and heat treated receiver. The real HK PSG-1 rifles are reported as shooting .25MOA regularly. The G3 platform offers a few advantages including the fact that the barrel is the only true free floating design in any of the semi-autos. The "gas guns" like the FAL and M14 have a gas piston and handgaurd assembly to influence the harmonics in the barrel. Ask any bench rest shooter and you'll learn that these things severely widen your groups.

In my opinion the FAL is the least accurate battle rifle of the big four: FAL, G3, M14, and AR-10. All of these rifles have their merits and the FAL has probably the best overall package for most people. The FAL stays clean and will last a lifetime if treated properly.

Here's my take on these four rifles:

AR-10:
    =====
    Extremely accurate... don't believe me, check out the AR-10T or the SR-25
    comfortable rifle
    Takes a lot of work to keep clean
    Too expensive (well over $1000 for a base model)
    Expensive magazines
    Average sights would be great if the front pin were a bit less wide

M14:
    ====
    Widely used for competition, no secrets here, it's a reasonably accurate platform
    Comfortable when shooting prone
    Too expensive
    stays very clean
    Easy to clean
    No pistol grip (this can be good and bad)
    Expensive Magazines
    The best iron sights in the business hands down.
    Most people like them, but I'm not too crazy about the M14 scope mounts

FAL:
    ===
    Reliable
    Affordable (under $1000)
    Easy to build
    Cheap magazines (metric pattern)
    Comfortable
    Easy to clean
    Tons of variations (there's an FAL to fit everyone)
    extremely lame post/notch sights, the front pin is way too wide
    The only way to mount a scope is with a cheesy top cover mount

G3:
    ===
    Accurate
    Reliable
    Affordable (under $1000)
    Cheap magazines ($2 each for alloy 20's)
    Easy to take down without tools and clean
    many variations and interchangable parts
    Runs dirty due to the blowback action (soot builds up everywere in the gun)
    average iron sights. change to a "french" style drum. Front post is too wide.
    Claw mounts for optics shift around due to poor design. Weld on a rail.

That's the way I see 'em... They can all use improvement in some areas, but for the price, you can't be the accuracy of the JLD PTR-91.

Feedback Score

I would take the G3...no gas system, lighter...

L8R

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, but because the G3 uses delayed roller locking with no gas system, it's a FILTHY system which blows gas back into the chamber area.

Aboslutely the dirtiest rifle to shoot/clean.

I'll never own another, and I've owned 4 Heckler & Koch 91's and 2 Springfield Armory SAR-3/8's.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Well I went against my "better" judgement and bought one of each kit. Purchased a Belgian FAL Kit and a G3 Kit. Now it will take me longer to build both because I bought two. But there always seems like time to build. Might not be time I can buy as easily.....so I'm stockpiling.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Actually, "both" is the best answer anyway.

As much as I prefer the FAL, the G3 system, for all it's faults, is damn near as reliable as an AK is, when properly assembled using an in-spec receiver.

The only country that adopted the FAL and used it successfully in Arctic conditions (regualry anyway) were the Canadians. The Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes all bought G3's.

And in the desert the G3 was also a more reliable performer than the FAL, the Saudis, Iraqis, Somalies, Sudanese, etc. all issued the G3 as well.

So, "both", when offered, is always the best answer.

"RPG kaboom tank!"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Which receiver do you recommend. I looked at JLD Enterprises website and couldn't locate theirs........any others I should consider???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snook
    Which receiver do you recommend. I looked at JLD Enterprises website and couldn't locate theirs........any others I should consider???
    I believe the JLD are the best available right now, if you can find some Portugese FNM receivers they'd be the best but they dissapeared a few years ago.

The JLD are supposed to be built using the Portugese dies anyway.

As fas as FAL receivers.................personally, cause I'm a snob (read stickler for detail, quality, and craftmanship), I'd say pony up and pay the money for a DSA receiver, which is forged, and built using the original blueprints from FN and Steyr anad with technical assistance from both companies as well.

If you don't do that, then get an Imbel. Stay away from Hesse/Vulcan or Enterprise.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.