Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Okay, how about some tips for a new Garand owner

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Okay, how about some tips for a new Garand owner

Well, I just got myself a new toy. I bought myself a Garand!

I already have surplusrifles.com and CMP bookmarked, but are there any other sites that have really useful info?

How about parts and accessory sources? I have a few sites tracked down already, but who do you like dealing with? I would like to eventually replace the beech stock with a really nice walnut set.

I am also interested in what is involved to convert to .308. When the time comes to replace the barrel, I would like to know my options for replacement.
    The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tip #1: Box up the weapon and send it to WV where 2 highly qualified technicians will inspect and do extensive field testing for you.
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    I Like 1911's.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Ryan -- Life, my friend, is good.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

The Mad Messenger Zane Zackerly's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Watch your thumb! I don't know if it's every weapon or just the ones that are well-worn-in, but when you insert that en-bloc clip the action tends to close instantly!

A friend of mine used to get his thumb slammed in the action regularly.

I guess that's where they got the term "Garand Thumb."

Other than that, you'll love the rifle!
    "I Am the Mad Messenger From the Edge"

Feedback Score

Hey Rhino, I've got a bunch of Garand clips I'll give ya for your new toy. I bought a can or 2 of 30-06 in bandolears with the clips and only wanted the ammo. See ya at the shoot and don't buy any I've got plenty just rember to ask me for em!!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default ~

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
    Watch your thumb! I don't know if it's every weapon or just the ones that are well-worn-in, but when you insert that en-bloc clip the action tends to close instantly!

A friend of mine used to get his thumb slammed in the action regularly.

I guess that's where they got the term "Garand Thumb."

Other than that, you'll love the rifle!
    Rhino....welcome to the club of Garand Owners. In order to avoid the painful thumb, when inserting the clip hold the op rod with your little finger, pushing it in with your thumb only. In other words, keep your 4 fingers to the right of the breech, with your pinkie touching the op rod and when the clip is inserted and the op rod releases your hand will catch it and not your thumb

I've pm'd you some links you might interesting.

You never said what kind of Garand you got. I traded my Romanian AK and a redhawk for mine. I got a 2/52 HRA with matching barrel, the bolts Springfield as is most of the trigger assy.......I can always trade these off for HRA Mine is not safe queen but it has the "character" I was looking for. My Dad carried one in the mid 50's when he went to Parris Island for "summer camp" in 1956 said he wouldn't change nothing about.

I've shot mine and love it. Now I just gotta figure out a way to feed it. Centerview has a good deal on the ammo, although it is corrosive. Just keep her good and clean and oil and grease the proper parts and blast away. Congrads again on owning what many believe to be the best rifle invented. Let me how it does at 500 yards. Take care....................Mike..................

PS ...in reference to a stock ...check out dougs stock pile, I've sent you a link to it. Bought a sling from him for mine and he's a hell'uva nice guy.
    When Injustice Becomes Law....Rebellion Becomes Duty

The only thing wrong with Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was that it was the South, not the North, that was fighting for a government of the people, by the people and for the people."

-- H. L. Mencken

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Guys, Thanks for the info. The rifle is a CMP rack grade, but the muzzle looks great. It's a Springfield, but I haven't even wiped it off to really check it out yet. I checked it out enough to find out that it isn't really worn too badly.

I'm really looking forward to cleaning it up and putting a few rounds down range at the WV shoot.

I picked up a few boxes of some remanufactured 30.06. It's made by a company called Talon. Has anyone heard of this stuff before? Is it decent?
    Last edited by Rhino_66; 08-13-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Hey Rhino, I've got a bunch of Garand clips I'll give ya for your new toy. I bought a can or 2 of 30-06 in bandolears with the clips and only wanted the ammo. See ya at the shoot and don't buy any I've got plenty just rember to ask me for em!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Raven! I appreciate it!

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score

Remember, about 40% of a garands accuracy is in a tight stock to action fit. If your cmp stock is loose, get a boyds and hand fit it. It took me all of five minutes and a light touch on a file. Boyds will have extra wood for this reason. As to converting to .308, I had Big Jim at Black River do mine. He is located in Grafton and also does most of the NE Ohio shows. Excellent work and reasonable prices. I've also got two FALs built by him that rival anything the big name smiths put together.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Welcome to the Garand club. This one won't be your last.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.