Polytech M-14 worth the money?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polytech M-14 worth the money?

Feedback Score

Default Polytech M-14 worth the money?

So, I really want a M1A-type rifle. I'm looking to get a standard style, not one with the SOCOM stuff and shorter barrel. The Springfields are nice, but costly.

Anyone have thoughts on picking up a Polytech M-14 and replacing some parts? I know the receiver is forged and not cast, which is a good thing, but I've heard *some* Polytechs had soft parts.

So here are the questions. Seem like you can find a Polytech for about $500-700. What should I look for in buying a Polytech and after you replaced some of the parts with USGI parts, would it end up being that much cheaper than a Springfield? And just want parts need to be replaced?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

There is a company and I cannot remember the name. Scubadvr knows the name of it though. They will take you Polytech and "Americanize" for a sum of money.

Hopefully he will see this and replay to it.

The Mad Messenger Zane Zackerly's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I had one with ever-increasing head space, soft parts, and a stock that cracked just bumping it hard against something. The parts are not mil-spec, either. We tried putting GI parts in to replace some items--NO GO!

I would avoid it like the plague.
    "I Am the Mad Messenger From the Edge"

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by SangRun Hunter
    There is a company and I cannot remember the name. Scubadvr knows the name of it though. They will take you Polytech and "Americanize" for a sum of money.

Hopefully he will see this and replay to it.
    Sang, I think you're thinking Smith Enterprises. That right Scubadvr?

Feedback Score

ZZ I was under the impression that GI parts worked on Polytechs. I've read on other forums about people using GI replacements. What did you try to have replaced? The stock I would replace anyway so that's no big deal.

The Mad Messenger Zane Zackerly's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by double_action
    ZZ I was under the impression that GI parts worked on Polytechs. I've read on other forums about people using GI replacements. What did you try to have replaced? The stock I would replace anyway so that's no big deal.

It's been since 1993 so I don't remember exactly which parts.

I had a gunsmith take some measurements of the components in the Poly-Tech and compare them to some GI parts he had in stock. I always wanted spare parts for guns I shot regularly. IIRC the gas piston was different, as well as other components. The Chicoms had taken the GI English measurements and translated them to the closest metric equivalent, or something like that.

It's been so long I can't tell you any more than that.
    "I Am the Mad Messenger From the Edge"

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly
    It's been since 1993 so I don't remember exactly which parts.

I had a gunsmith take some measurements of the components in the Poly-Tech and compare them to some GI parts he had in stock. I always wanted spare parts for guns I shot regularly. IIRC the gas piston was different, as well as other components. The Chicoms had taken the GI English measurements and translated them to the closest metric equivalent, or something like that.

It's been so long I can't tell you any more than that.

Okay, thanks.

Feedback Score

http://www.smithenterprise.com/index.html looks like dont advertise the service anymore they are doing alot of work on usgi m14s for iraq. heres a link to a forum that deals alot with m1a m14 rifles you can ask your question there you will get alot of answers there this question gets aked alot http://www.m-14forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Feedback Score

jtv3062, thanks for the link.

Feedback Score

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.