Thread: make M1 Garand into M1A

Feedback Score

Default make M1 Garand into M1A

Is it possible to put removable magazine into an M1 Garand?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yeah, it's called a BM59. Seriously though, back in the day some gunsmiths modified the Garand to take BAR mags. It was a rather involved process requiring much machine work. Not something one wants to try with a Dremel unless you have a lot of time and a crate of cutters. You might try a search on some of the Garand specific websites and forums out there, you might find somebody still doing it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You'd have to do some serious cutting on the receiver, and then re-heat treat.

It's something people ask about, but if it were even fairly easily done you'd see it all over the place.

Beretta modified a lot of Garand recievers into BM-59's, but they had the tools, technology, and smiths who knew what they were doing to do it on an industrial scale to make it worth while.
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score

I took the cheap route. I simply had a garand rebarreled to .308. Works great, very accurate and cheap to shoot. For other situations I just got a FAL.

Gunco Girleen pistol-packin-wifey's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by shotar
    I took the cheap route. I simply had a garand rebarreled to .308. Works great, very accurate and cheap to shoot. For other situations I just got a FAL.
    oooh i think i'd like one of those!
    "The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune.... Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character...." -- President Grover Cleveland

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Why in the world would you want to screw up a perfectly good weapon, one of the best ever made to take mags?

Watch the action channel...they show "combat" reruns and watch ol Cage in a fire fight. Goes to show you..with a little practice you fire just as many rounds from enblocs as you can a mag...he was really fast on reloads...it was him not tv and he was a south paw on top of that

Just practice with what you have and work on your speed and then weigh your skills to see if you gain any advantages switching it over.... I know mags may be a little easier to carry, etc...but the cost invovled may not make it worth while.....just 2 cents worth from a fellow Garand owner
    When Injustice Becomes Law....Rebellion Becomes Duty

The only thing wrong with Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was that it was the South, not the North, that was fighting for a government of the people, by the people and for the people."

-- H. L. Mencken

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.