I need FAL help QUICK!

Thread: I need FAL help QUICK!

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Default I need FAL help QUICK!

I've decided to order a FAL kit. I don't know anything about these. I can see there's either a metric or inch version. Is there any specific advantage to one or the other? Parts wise or building wise? I'd sure appreciate any quick advice as i'm in the buying mood RIGHT NOW
    Thanks, Brad
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score

Metric parts are a lot more common.
    "The way of the warrior is death, this means choosing death whenever there is a choice between life and death. It means nothing more than this, it means to see things through, being resolved."---Yamamoto Tsunemoto's Hagakure

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Metric is much more common. Easier to get parts.

Feedback Score

Metric parts are more common and it is easier to barrel.

Most imortant is the US made metric parts are much easier to find than US inch parts. You need at least 6 or 7 US parts to build a Fal within compliance regs.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Assembly is essentially the same. Barrel is screwed into receiver and torqued into alignment. Headspace is set with different size locking shoulders pressed into the receiver. The only real difference is that the Inch rifles use an indexing washer to get the initial barrel timing set before torquing into place. Different thickness washers are used to get the gas tube notch to line up at 11:00 before final tightening.

For correct Inch receivers, DSA is the only real game in town. Century Inch receivers are a bastardized metric abomination. The DSA Inch receiver is $450. Metric receivers run from $200 to $500+. Metric receivers are availble in Type 1, 2, and 3 variations to match your kit and budget. There will be new receivers available in the near future from a couple of manufacturers.

Metric magazines are dirt CHEAP! Inch magazines are not all that cheap, when compared to metric availability and price. Metric magazines will fit Inch receivers, but not vise versa.

There seem to be more stock set options for the Metric rifles as well. Wood, plastic, fibreglass, and steel are available.

If you're just looking to buy a FAL type rifle, I would recommend the Metric over the Inch for the reasons mentioned in all of the replies.

The most damning evidence is the truth.

That which does not kill you, really really really hurts...

Gunco Member #21

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

http://www.falfiles.com has all the info on them you could ever want to know. Also, if you are building one, I recommend T. Mark Graham's Gunplumber videos and manual, from ARS (arizona response systems).

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.