Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What FAL Do I Want?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question What FAL Do I Want?

Hey All --

Am in the market for the next step now that ARville and AKburg have been conquered.

In short, am looking for opinions and reasoning behind what I want next: FAL L1A1, FAL IMBEL, G3, or CETME. All are essentially the same, correct? Interchangeable? Why would I want one and not the other?

Thanks for the help.
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

ATD
    Feedback Score

FaL L1A1 is Australian I think
    FaL Imbel is south american and much better than the autralian from what I hear, mostly because some Imbel recivers made it to the states and the L1A1s have century stamped on theirs.
    but essentially these rifles are from the same design but I won't swear they will interchange parts. There are Inch pattern FALs and Metric pattern FALs also if you are really interested in a FAL and aren't looking for a Build or are later looking for a Reciver look up DSA. they bought the tooling from FN to build FALs, American made high quality guns from what I hear.

Now then
    G3s and Cetmes are again similar designs but are different from FALs. they are a nasty, dirty, reliable, accurate gun. FALs use a Piston operated gas system while G3s and Cetmes use pure blowback, which dumps alot of burned powder back into the action. But from what I have seen with a buddy's Cetme it doesn't seem to really affect the reliablility of the gun any. and someone around here has said something about the G3 withstanding Cold weather better than the FAL.

but anyway FALs and G3/cetmes are not the same. Parts and Mags do not universaly interchange between them. the only thing they all have in common is the round they fire. I have looked at L1a1s and G3s and Cetmes and an Imbel FAL but I have only shot a Cetme. it had surprisingly light recoil but the muzzle break it had on made it want to jump up and smack you in the face. It also took some work to get working properly. Personally I would look around at them all read up what you can, and AVOID anything that says Century on it.
    In a hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks. That helps alot. I've seen the parts advertised for FALs in inch and metric. The basic design of them all looks similar, but was looking for some opinions before I dove in with detailed research.
    Retired US Navy
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

British Commonwealth Countires - inch

Rest of world metric

I have built both inch and metric. The are equally easy to build if you have the right tools. I like the way the inch weapons barrel and index, basically with a sizing washer. In my estimation there is no difference in quality between any of the models. One of the nicest kits I have seen is the Austrian STG58. It has metal foregrips and a bipod, and a very unique flash hider/wire cutter. In any regard, I strongly recommend that anyone serious about building FAL(s) purchase Mark Grahams (gun plumber) book and video, they are 100%. www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

The cool thing about FAL are the variation. In the inch the most sought after is the Canadian C1. Some people like the West German G1 (actually made by FN) there were some reasonably priced kits around several years ago. I would love to have an Israeli FAL (very pricy). Imbel kits, made in Brazil on original FN machinery are cheapest and plentiful currently. I lucked out about a year ago and got a South African FAL. Be sure to check out www.dsarms.com and www.gunthings.com along with James at his web site www.gunpartsguy.com.

Once you have some FALS then go to the better weapon the M14, the difference is really cool historically. (boy this ought to start something) Good luck!
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Gunco Girleen pistol-packin-wifey's Avatar
    Feedback Score

cetmecetmecetmecetme

sorry.......i love cetmes, though i have yet to have the pleaseure of shooting a FAL. Cheezy is out at the gunshow looking for one as i type, so who knows, maybe a few months from now my mantra will be falfalfalfal!
    "The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune.... Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character...." -- President Grover Cleveland

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks people --

I'm kinda leaning towards a CETME myself, unless a "FAL of a deal" presents itself.

Thanks!
    Retired US Navy

Feedback Score

I like the stgs because of the bipod and the look.
    I also have a SA and they are nice to.
    Talk to GPG/GunpartsGuy.com as thats his main thing//Fals,and he helped
    me Build both mine.
    peace

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Templar --

Now there's a nice one! Can you give me some details as that's about exactly what I had in mind. I might even go with wood forearms as I've seen pics of those and they look very nice (but I'll be very heavy).

ps -- Always liked your signature. One of my favorite movies.
    Retired US Navy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Here you go.

The only thing I did was add an unissued German G1 buttstock onto mine.

DSA StG-58A.

The finest FAL's available are built by DSA and I've owned both FN's and Springfield Armory.

The StG-58A is built from primo Steyr parts with US parts, comes with a lifetime warranty and you can buy it for less than buying a kit, a DSA receiver, and having it assembled and refinished.

And it has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.c...TOKEN=57452022
    "RPG kaboom tank!"

Comrade Soldier Koverchenko

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.