Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand = Best Battle Rifle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

He definitely made some valid points. I agree with most of what he said, the "experts" didn't really know their bolt from a bayonet,except for Atwater. I always thought it was interesting how almost every European nation set up plants to manufacture the 98 Mauser, or had bought them from FN or Czechoslavakia. Then when Hitler marched around he had a pool of, at the very least, common operating weapons. Although some countries used the 7.92x57 as their issue cartridge which made it easier to use their weapons from a logistics standpoint. I have always considered the Mauser systems to be the FN FAL of the early 20th century.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I did not have much luck with my L1A1. It was built on an Imbrel receiver, put together by century. It was one jam after another no matter where I set the gas regulator. I had six mags same deal with the mags bang bang jam. I finally got rid of it at a gunshow and picked up an AK (norinco MAK 90) been an ak man ever since. The reason I chose the L1A1 is I am a lefty and cocking the bolt is a lefty sorta thing. I've seen the new FN parts .223 that Bobcat weapons (now Red Rock Arms) has come up with. Looks interesting, seen it at the SAR show and thinking hard about it (1400 price tag ) it takes AR mags so it could make a lefty happy again. I heard that FN FAL were prone to jamming. I did have good results with Izzy ammo but it was loaded to hot for me (seeing casses split horizontally wigged me out and that ended my use of Izzy machine gun ammo .) Its my 2 cents worth for what it matters.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lt762x39
    I did not have much luck with my L1A1. It was built on an Imbrel receiver, put together by century. It was one jam after another no matter where I set the gas regulator.
    This post is self explanatory, There is good reason why most folks would not touch a Century built FAL or their own receivers either for that matter.
    Both are notoriously problematic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I was acquainted with a century L1A1 that had a tendency to malfunction. It was cleared once the next owner heeded my comment to clean out the mainspring plunger and tube. After that it ran like a top. I'm not saying that's a cure all, but I was amazed at the range how many folks with FAL's and L1A1's suffer from that easy to fix problem.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It looks like this post is picking up some speed! I am referring to the Garand as a MBR, and not including the AK/AR class rifles in my statement. I just recently aquired a nice older DCM Garand and am very pleased to have a nice one compared to the two previously owned "Blue Sky" imports that I have had in the past! I did take the new Garand out last week and hunted sucessfully with it. I tagged a nice Whitetial Doe, and look forward to using it again next year!
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

On Monday evening, my friend who drives a brown truck came by with a long box for me. Santa came early - I got a Garand at long last. I can't wait to get to the range to shoot it now.
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nkluksda
    On Monday evening, my friend who drives a brown truck came by with a long box for me. Santa came early - I got a Garand at long last. I can't wait to get to the range to shoot it now.
    I hope that the CMP? "Santa" treats you good.!
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freebore
    I hope that the CMP? "Santa" treats you good.!
    Not CMP - got it from GarandGuy. Now the rub - my wife wants me to wait until 'Santa' leaves it near my stocking to take shooting. That's twelve days away! That's cruel and unusual punishment!
    Q - What is Bambi?

A - Viable Target

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I had a Blue Sky Garand as well. It was reliable but not very accurate, there was so much cosmoline in the barrel I didn't see how bad the bore was. I am pretty sure the bullets spent some time rattling around in there.
    That is awesome you were able to bag a deer with yours. It is my hope to someday bag an animal with all of mine. Kinda an informal challenge to myself.

Feedback Score

I'll say that I love the Garand, and is probably the best MBR of its time. But I must agree that the FAL is probably todays best. Not quite a .30-06, but the .308 will do the job. The lighter weight and higher mag capacity definatley add to the total package.
    No, you won't be cracking skulls with a buttstroke like you would a Garand; but I don't plan on letting the enemy get that close.
    A site for gun enthusiasts and the shooting sports.
    www.proshooter.org
    Further bringing our pro-gun community together.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.