Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand = Best Battle Rifle?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default M1 Garand = Best Battle Rifle?

Hey, we've probably all heard that General Patton described the M1 Garand as the best Battle Rifle/Weapon ever designed, but how does that hold up today? Myself, I just picked up a nice SA M1, and I am thrilled to put this rifle to use again! I would think that the "Best Battle Rifle" title would be better appionted to something more advanced, in todays terms. What would you say? I love the M1 Garand, and it was right for it's time, but would vote for the M-14 due to it's simularities & common design. I'm probably stirring some old coals here, but it's still fun to discuss.
    "Remember the Alamo"!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I'm with you as far as saying the M1 was probably the best for it's time. There are definitely better weapon designs today. But........The M1 is inherently as dependable as the class of Kalashnikov weapons. I own one but wouldn't trade it for anything and I mean that. Just something about it that gives you the feeling of security, Knowing you can reach out and touch someone is a great feeling. As far as modern day weapons the choice is so large as to pick just one. But I would probably go with an AK type.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1ak2b
    Just something about it that gives you the feeling of security, Knowing you can reach out and touch someone is a great feeling.
    That 'something' is probably the fact that a fully loaded M1 (8-round en bloc clip, cleaning kit in butt stock and sling) weighs in at 11-1/4 lbs. A buttstroke from a Garand would easily be able to thump someone to la-la land. I would definitely put that in the plus column.

The M1 truly has an "all business" feel to it,... a feeling you don't get from handling an AR-type rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Of course then there is the argument that in the prone position that a downward protruding magazine can be a tactical detriment in the newer genre of rifles. But the famous enbloc ping can be a curse and has been used as a ruse in certain circumstances. Of course the reach of the old school infantry cartridges is a definite plus. And as far as battle sights the M1's are hard to beat. And there's that good ole' Made in the USA feel. May not be one of the wiz bang modern rifles but who would want to go toe to toe with a competent M1 operator.

Im just fine, ow u doin? Harry Nutts's Avatar
    Feedback Score

forged steel and wood!...i love it, i gotta agree, for its time the M1 was the best and the M14 is still holding its own. i have often wondered what the designated marksmen we have today would be using if the M14 never came to be.....the garand would work i think.
    the smaller rounds used in the assault weapons, (M16, AK-47) would not reach out there like the garand or M14 will.

its definately time for some eye candy.
    current issue DMR rifles, Crazy Horse M14's:
    http://www.smithenterprise.com/images/news001.02.jpg
    and the current state of the art....John C. Garands design evolved to this point in time....who knows what will be in the future, note the rear sights...nobody has needed to improve the Garand design in all these years....sorry if this is off topic but i get a little excited when it comes to M14's
    http://www.smithenterprise.com/products16.html

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think the history channel voted the AK as the best all around battle rifle the AR was in the top 3 or 4

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I think there is no question that in it's day, it was without peer.
    However when it comes to full size battle rifles today, the FAL is tough to beat overall.

Self-Proclaimed Armorer bloodsport2885's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think the feeling you describe is from the fact that its a TRUE battle rifle. Even with the limited mag capacity the feel of one just makes you more confident should you hafta kick ass and take names.
    Hold Mah Beer and watch this sh*t.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I wondered if in defense the mag capacity would be so much of a big deal if, in a zombie wave attack, you just opened fire when the targets were farther away. And the ability of the .30 cal to not only reach out there, but to go thru stuff like doors and trees etc. could be the deciding factor. It's just one of those things that we'll be pondering for quite some time.

Im just fine, ow u doin? Harry Nutts's Avatar
    Feedback Score

main battle rifles and assault rifles perform different roles for sure.
    i remember that history/military channel show on "top ten combat" rifles,

they grouped these three categories into one......a bad idea i think, listing the best rifles by conflict would have been a better one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rifle
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service...ational_armies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

alot of people disagreed with the outcome but the show was a quickie and thier standards for criteria were unknown, now if they had done three different shows on the three categories of issued war rifles there would not have been such an uproar and i think the Garand or mauser would have come out on top for Main battlerifle.

i agree with this guys take on the show:
    http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2006...ifles-huh.html

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.