Thread: Any good aftermarket SKS mags out there?

Feedback Score

Default Any good aftermarket SKS mags out there?

Ok so I bought a National Magazine 40 round Mag and boy are my arms tired. I have been hammering and filing and bending and I still cant get the dam thing to load more than 3 rounds without jamming. I don't know who built this thing but they must not have been able to find a sks to check an see if it actually fit, they must have been going off of memory or something. I have heard that Tapco makes a nice polymer 20 round mag that actually works, I was really hoping to find something a little more high cap. I have a Chinese SKS and I was also thinking that I could convert it to accept Ak-47 mags but I have looked all over and cant find any type of adapter kit. Have heard they are illegal, not really scared. Can anyone help?
    Are you talkin to me? You talkin to me? Theres nobody elce here, You must be talking to me.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I don't know of an adapter kit to put AK mags into an SKS, all I heard was machining needs to be done to the rifle and it can't be switched back, better off getting a Norinco that's setup for AK mags I think they sell for $300 to 350.

The poly mags do work in the SKS but like you said they only come as 20 rounders. There was someone who made steel 30 rounders but the last ones I saw for sale went for $50 each.

Feedback Score

Yeah I have already thrown out the idea of converting my SKS to accept Ak mags, I found a online guide as to how to do it but it seems for all the work involved I would be better off just buying a SKS M or D. I originally wanted a high cap. battle rifle, I don't think I am ever going to be satisfied with what I got. What do you think of drums?
    Are you talkin to me? You talkin to me? Theres nobody elce here, You must be talking to me.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default If you like work.....

Hello Gents,

Not that I have EVER done this, being a resident behind the lines here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia; BUT:

Take a look at Copes, in the Mini-14 section, and you just may find that they carry 30 round polymer mags for the Mini-30.....Those mags just might be narrow enough to fit between the existing rails of an SKS receiver....

Now, if you are kinda handy with a vise, a hammer, a hacksaw, and a dremel; you might be able to fabricate an insert that would allow you to insert said magazine into an SKS with a successful outcome. You would however need to modify said magazines in a fashion that would properly engage the bolt hold-open.

Like I said before......I have NEVER done this.

Bellson

Death From Above Airborne Falcon's Avatar
    Feedback Score

"good" and "sks" and "mags" all in the same sentence is actually an oxy moron. One cannot exist beside the other.

SKS are clipper strip loaded, fixed magazine-well fed weapons and meant to be so. Attempting to turn them into detachable magazine fed weapons is a waste of time and against the weapon's intended design ... therefore it so greatly reduces reliability that it offsets any speed gain or advantage that might be realized from actually getting the modification to work.
    What You Think About You Do ... What You Do You Become.
    The term "Parabellum" is ancient Roman Latin in origin and from the motto:
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" Translated: 'If You Want Peace, Prepare For War.'

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I have several 30rd detachable mags for my SKS. I can't remembner the name of the company, but they are US made. I had to file a little on two of them one the front arm to get them to fit properly.
    I have had no issues with them at all.
    Stay away from the zytel mags, the rounds hang up in them
    I modified the original 10rd mag so I could pop it in and out also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Previously owned an SKS that had some USA brand metal mags that worked great, except I would load 2 cartridges less than capacity. Generally agree the zytel mags don't work right at first, but with some judicious filing I got mine working perfect.

Decided to go with the AKM platform instead, never looked back. There is nothing wrong with the SKS, but if you want detachable mags, the AK is a better way to go IMHO.

Feedback Score

Well I bought the 20 round Tapco mag, I am going to give it a try. It only cost me $20.00 so even if things don't work out its not gonna break the bank. I went with the SKS cause it was only 250.00 and I wanted to save some money for ammo. So for the gun + ammo it was the best deal I could find, but it wasn't what I expected. I wanted a tactical assault rifle, I should have just saved some money and went with the AK or maybe a M-4. I am not giving up on my SKS just yet, I am going to take it as far as it can go.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.